Chapter 31

I remove the saddle from the stallion's back. I can tell that he is pleased as he gently bumps my chest with his nose.

I do not see how men can stand riding with saddles. They are uncomfortable for both rider and horse, and they hinder movement.

I toss the accursed thing onto the ground and allow the stallion to go and feed on some grass. Morwen is removing her mare's saddle as well and I can't help but stare as she gently brushes her fingers through the horse's mane.

I wonder what her story is. Why does she travel alone? And more importantly; why does she choose to travel with me?

I am one of the last people I would choose to travel with. I kill for fun and don't care about anyone besides myself.

She wants something from me. That's all I can make of it

I narrow my eyes at her. Whatever game she's playing isn't going to work.
"Why are you looking at me like that?"
She asks as if she's completely innocent.

I don't answer her question and busy myself with getting a fire started. I usually don't make fires since I am not affected by the cold and I never really have meat to cook, but for some reason I make one for tonight.

"You don't trust me, do you?"
She asks kneeling beside me.
"I don't trust anyone Miss Morwen. Not even myself."

I continue to work and hope that she goes away and leaves me alone.
Of course she doesn't.

"Why do you have orc arrows?"
"Because I can."
"How long have you been going about the lands murdering people?"
"Are you interrogating me Miss Morwen?"
"No, I just want to have a better understand of you."

I pause and look her straight in the eyes. Her eyes are a lighter blue than mine, they remind me of a grey winter morning.

They also don't look like they are glowing, the way mine do.

"Why are you here Morwen? Tell me the truth or I will slit your throat."
I say in a relaxed tone. One look at Morwen's face tells me that she's nervous.

"If you will not tell me about your past why should I tell you about mine?"
She asks softly.

"Because if I told you it would probably give you nightmares."
Morwen sighs and turns away from me and at the same time a strand of golden hair falls in front of her face.

"My entire life has been a nightmare."
She mutters but I'm still able to catch it.
"What do you mean?"
I ask, more out of suspicion than concern.

Morwen turns back to me and brushes the strand of hair out of her face.
"If I tell you my secret will you tell me yours?"

"Secret?"
"We both have a secret that we're keeping from each other. I will tell you mine in exchange for yours."

I think about it for a moment. How can I know that her "secret" is something that will even interest me.

And do I really want to tell her my secret?

My curiosity gets the better of me and before I know it I'm nodding my head in agreement.

"Fine. Tell me your secret."

Morwen clasps her hands in front of her and stares at the small pile of sticks that I'm trying to set aflame.

"Do you remember my Master that I mentioned? The one who wanted you to serve him?"

I nod without taking my eyes off of the small spark that is beginning to ignite.

"He is my father."
I curse as I burn my finger. I whirl around to face Morwen and in that moment I want to strike her down then and there.

"Your what?!"
"My father."
She repeats quietly.

Now I see what this is. A family conspiracy against me. Her father wants me, so he sends his pretty daughter to poison my mind and bring me to him.

"It's not what you think it is Amarth."
"You cannot possibly know what I'm thinking."
I snap.
"And I should have killed you the moment that I saw you!"

Morwen doesn't even react when I leap to my feet and draw my sword.
"If I told you that I was running away from him would you reconsider?"

Why must she always know exactly how to make me overly curious?

"Tell me."
I demand without lowering my weapon.
Morwen sighs and gazes back at the small fire.

"My father is not a good person Amarth. He is cruel, corrupt, and pure evil. My mother tried to get me away from him and do you know what he did? He killed her. Right before my eyes I watched as the only person who ever loved me was murdered."

Morwen turns to me and awaits my reaction. There are tears in her eyes, I've never seen her cry before.

"Do you even care?"
She asks dryly when she notices my passive expression.
"No, I do not."
I reply without the slightest hint of emotion.

She looks stunned, as if I'd just slapped her in the face.
"He turned me into a monster!"
Morwen screams standing with  her hands clenched into fists at her sides.

"He made me into his slave! He forced me to kill innocent people and if I refused to do what he says he has me tortured! How can you stand there without the slightest hint of sympathy?! Are you truly that heartless?!"

I don't even blink as I take a step towards her. Fear flashes in her eyes and she takes a step back.

"Do you know why I don't care Morwen?"
I ask slowly. She doesn't repsond and I can see her trembling.
"I don't care because I can't."

I turn away from her and walk to my horse. I'm not staying here for another second.

"What do you mean Amarth?"
Morwen asks still standing in her place beside the fire.

I mount the stallion and glare at her.
"That's my secret Morwen. I don't have a heart."

Pulling my hood over my head I kick my horse into a run. Leaving Morwen behind in the dark.

////

Another fun question for you guys!

Which one is better:

Legolas or Amarth?