Chapter 10

//// Part 2 ////

I wake up in a daze. I shake my head in an attempt to clear some of the fogginess from my mind. What had happened? Where was I?

I sit up and the first thing I realize is that I'm in a bed. I look down at the blanket that covers me in disbelief. I rub my hand over the soft material as if to convince myself that it is real.

What was I doing in a bed? I haven't seen a bed for years! I slowly take in my surroundings, I'm in a bedroom of some sort. The floor is made out of a dark wood and the walls are lighter.

There are two windows and the one beside my bed is open allowing sunlight and a cool breeze to enter the room. The one in front of me is closed.

I carefully lift the white blanket off of me and see that I'm wearing a blue tunic with grey trousers. I swing myself onto the side of the bed and place my bare feet on the floor.

I stand up and approach a small dresser with a mirror over it. When I look into the glass I hardly recognize the elf looking back at me.

My face is haggard and my eyes are dull. My hair hangs in tangled strands around my shoulders and down my back.
It's like looking at a ghost.

I stumble away from the mirror and place my hand on the wall for support. How could I have changed so much?

I stagger back to the bed and sit down. I place my head into my hands and take deep breaths.
I recall what had happened days ago. How much time had passed since my days in Rhun?

I remember that Veliron had sold me to the cloaked man, and that I had lost conciousness as I was being led away.

Another thing that I remember is what the cloaked man said; I only have a few years left to live.
I also remember my back, it doesn't hurt as much as it used to, is it still injured?

I'm about to lift up my shirt and see for myself when I hear the door creak. Someone's coming in. On instinct I brace myself for whatever is about to happen.

I've grown so accustomed to Veliron and his guards coming to torment me that I expect whoever is about to come in to do the same.

The cloaked man enters the room and seems surprised that I am awake. His hood is once again down and he no longer wears the darl blue cloak, just a light blue shirt and brown trousers.

This man must really love blue.
"I didn't expect to see you awake so soon."
The man says as he approaches the bed. I shrink away from him and he smiles in a way that seems friendly.

"How are you feeling?"
He asks.
I narrow my eyes at him as I look past him and at the open door.
"Where am I?"

"You are in my house in one of my guest room. It's yours for as long as you wish to stay here, if there is anything you need just ask."

I don't know what to think of this man. He seems friendly but I can't trust him, not until I learn more about him.

"Did you poison me?"
I demand.
The man's smile fades a bit.
"Perhaps we should discuss this over breakfast. Are you hungry?"

Hungry? I'm starving!
I nod and stand up. I haven't eaten anything but stale bread and water ever since my first day of captivity.

I cautiously follow him out of the room and see that we're in a two story house. He leads me down the stairs and there is what looks like a kitchen on the right and a chair in front of a fireplace on the left.

"Have a seat, I have already prepared the food."
Nervously I sit down in one of the three wooden chairs. The man sets a plate of fresh bread with honey and fruit in front of me as well as for him.