Chapter 34

The first thing I feel is something hard and cold pressed against my face. I crack open one eye and try to focus on where I am.

I'm surrounded by menacing black walls made of stone, the floor is made of the same stone. The entire room holds the presence of some form of darkness.

I open my other eye and roll onto my back. The room is dark but I can still see. I push myself up into a sitting position and try to search for a door or a window of some kind.

Anything that would allow me to escape.

As I search the room my mind replays the events of last night. Was it last night? Who knows how long I have been lying unconcious in this room?

The memory of the orcs attacking me reminds me of the numerous wounds I received from them. I touch my face with my hand and can feel dried blood on my cheek.

I wonder why they didn't kill me when they had the opportunity to? I'm no Silvan or Noldor, but I'm still an elf. And I know that no orc in its twisted mind would be able to resist killing the one thing the hate the most on this earth.

Shakily I stand up and that's when I remember.

Morwen.

She had ordered the orcs to stop, and they had obeyed. I was right all along. She was never trying to help me, she had been trying to bring me to this place.

Unwillingly I think about that night. She had tried to convince me that there was still love in me, I had almost fallen for it.

There had been a brief moment where I'd thought that I still could love. That I wasn't the heartless killer I had become.

Then she turned around and handed me over to her orcs, and I said that I was a monster?

I don't have another moment to linger on these thoughts as the room suddenly becomes darker.

I tense and immediately reach for a weapon-
But I don't have one.

No swords, no bow, and my dagger- it's gone too.

I panic and start to search frantically for the dagger. I can't lose it! I have to have it with me! No one else can use it but me, and not just because its mine.

"Welcome Amarth, we meet at last."
A voice that seems to shake the entire room calls out from the darkness. I try to focus on a shape that seems to be moving through the air, but I can't make out what it is.

"Who are you?"
I demand not really sure to who or what I'm talking to.
"I am the one who had you brought here."
The voice continues.
"I'm sure that Morwen told you about me."

I clench my hands into fists and glare at the darkness.
"Do not say that name."

"Why not?"
The voice asks innocently.
"Does hearing it make you angry?"

"Just tell me why I'm here."
I'm nearing the end of my rope and very soon, I am going to lose my patience.

"You would not be so bold if you knew who I was elf."
The voice thunders and I'm nearly thrown off my feet.
"Then please, enlighten me."
I straighten myself and continue to stare at the darkness, undaunted by its ever increasing malice.

To my surprise the voice begins to laugh. Cruel and coarse, it fills me with dread.

"You are far more promising than the last elf. He was strong I'll give him that, but his courage failed him in the end."

Last elf?

"Do you delight yourself in taking elves against their will?"
I question trying to keep myself calm depsite the rising fear in the back of my mind.