Chapter 30

"Alright Morwen, if you're going to keep following me around you are going to have to prove yourself worthy."

"Worthy of what?"
Morwen asks coming to stand beside me.

"Worthy of being in my presence of course."
Morwen rolls her eyes and I smirk. If only she knew that I was only pretending to be arrogant.

To be honest, I don't think that highly of myself at all. Of course I'm a very handsome elf with superior fighting abilities, but I am as lowly as a common crook.

That's just my fault I guess.

"So what do you want me to do Amarth?"
Morwen's questions bring me back to reality. I have a strange condition where I will often become lost in my thoughts, perhaps that is another reason why I don't have any friends.

"Do you see those horsemen down there?"
I ask pointing to them with my sword. We arrived in Rohan two days ago and if I'm lucky this will be my way to get rid of Morwen.

"Yes."
She says nodding slowly.
"I want you to go down there and steal two horses from them."
"Are you mad Amarth?"
Morwen snaps taking a step away from me.

"Very."
I reply tossing my sword up in the air and catching it again as it falls.
"So are you up to the challenge or not?"
I ask pointing at he with the sword.

"What will stealing horses prove to you anyway?"
She asks skeptically.
"That you actually have some value, that and having a horse would allow me to travel faster and easier."

Morwen scoffs in disbelief.
"I cannot believe this! You just want me to steal a horse for you because you are too lazy to do it yourself!"

"I am not lazy. I could easily kill them all, set all their horses loose, select the one I need, and I could ride off leaving you behind."

I smile innocently at her angered expression. Her face turns a nice shade of red when she's angry, like a strawberry red.

"Then why don't you oh great one?"
She says as she rolls her eyes.
"Because I do not feel like it right now. Although if you fail in gettin the horses I'll just leave you anyway and find my own. I do not need you with me."

Morwen groaned and pulled her hood over head, hiding her face and long hair.

"Fine, I'll go and get you a horse."
Morwen turns to me and points at my bow.
"I'm going to need that."

I grasp my bow protectively.
"But I love my bow, we have been through too much together to be parted now."

"Just give me the bow Amarth! Do you want a horse or not?"
I sigh and reluctantly hand my bow over.
"I'll need your arrows too."
She adds taking my bow.

I groan and hand three arrows over.
"That's it?"
"It's part of the challenge."
"You never said that!"
"I just added it."
"You can't-"
"You also have to do it in a certain time."
"You are so infuriating!"
"You have five minutes."

Morwen groans very loudly and takes off with my bow and three arrows.

This should be interesting.

I lie on my stomach on a small hill that overlooks the riders, who have stopped to give their horses a rest.

I can see Morwen creeping up on them from behind. Her cloak blends in with the terrain keeping her hidden.

She's armed with a sword, my bow, and three arrows. It's her against at least twenty horsemen, I'm wondering if maybe this was a bad idea.

But Morwen seems determined to prove herself so I let her. Although I make a promise to myself that if things turn sour I'll step in and offer my assistance.

Only after having a good laugh first.

One of the horses has noticed Morwen's presence and is starting to stamp its hooves. One of the riders has noticed and is starting to look around cautiously.

I've lost sight of Morwen and for a moment I think that she gave up on my challenge. Which I wouldn't mind, except for the fact that I'd have to hunt her down and get my bow back.

I was not joking when I said that I love that bow. Suddenly one of the horses rears on its hind legs and I can see an arrow sticking out of its side.

I intentionally gave Morwen my orc arrows so that the men would blame orcs on the attack.

The horse that she shot bolts from the others and now everyone is in a panic as they arm themselves.

They search for orcs who are not even there.

Another orc arrow is fired, this time from a different direction, and killing a horse.

Now all the horses are bucking and frantically trying to flee, a few of them do escape much to the despair of the riders.

That's when I notice a small group of horses running straight towards me.

Very clever Morwen.

I notice a tall, jet black stallion thundering over the grass at the head of the group.

He's the one I want. I break into a run and race after the stallion. I'm on higher ground then the horses so all I have to do is leap onto his saddle.

Simple, except I've never done this before. I take a deep breath and get as close as I can to the stallion.

My heart is pounding and I relish the feeling of pursuit. Even if it is just a horse. Soon I'm exactly where I want to be.

I leap onto the horse and immediately latch on with my arms and legs. The stallion suddenly begins to buck as it tries to throw me off.

I hold on for dear life while I try to righten myself on his back. The other horses go on leaving us behind. The stallion continues to buck and snort as sweat behins to glisten on his body.

I grasp his main and refuse to go. I know that he is tiring and soon, he will give up.

My guess is proven right as he slowly begins to stop trying to throw me off. He stands still and breaths heavily while his body trembles from exaustion.

I gently rub his neck to show that I mean no ill towards him. The only things I go easy on are horses.

"Have I proven myself?"
Morwen comes up behind me on a brown mare with a white star between her eyes.

I grin as she hands me my bow and one orc arrow that she didn't use.

"Miss Morwen, you have officially proven yourself worthy to be in my presence."

To my surprise, Morwen smiles back.
"This does not mean that I like you Morwen. Make one mistake and I'm sending this arrow straight through you."

Morwen rolls her eyes as I return the arrow and my bow to their respectful places. As I start my horse off at a fast trot I hear her mutter, "I doubt it."

////

Hey guys! Just thought that I'd you give you all a fun question to answer regarding this story.

Which is: Which actor do you think would be best suited to play Amarth if this were a movie?

Let me know what you think!

Alright I'm out