Chapter 38

I can do nothing while under Alatar's control. I ride hard to Mirkwood and there I find Legolas, looking very different from the way I was used to seeing him.

His eyes are clear and bright and his face in alight in pure elation. That's when I notice that the scar I had left on his face is gone.

How? How could he have healed from it?

I don't have a chance to find out as Alatar takes over. I unsheeth my dagger and silently come up behind him. I am to capture Legolas and bring him to Alatar who is waiting in Isengard. I don't want to do this, I know what he has planned for him.

I press a knife to his throat and he stiffens in fear. I try to break Alatar's control. But all I can do is force myself to say, "I'm sorry Legolas."

"Amarth?"
He exclaims in disbelief.
I try harder than ever to fight against it. I gasp and manage to shout in a strained voice, "Forgive me Legolas! I don't want to do this."

My fist collides with the side of Legolas' head. He collapses onto the ground and I have never been more disgusted with myself.

I know it's not me, yet as I bend down to pick him up and carry him to my horse, I wish that I could just fall down and die.

////

Alatar has gone mad. He wants to free Morgoth, and he foolishly thinks that he can take his power for himself.

The only way he can release Morgoth is with the power he has, the blood of an Avari and a Noldor, and their hearts have to be scarred.

I still have my scar, but Legolas does not. I watch as Alatar grabs Legolas' chin and twist his head to the side, he inspects where the scar used to be and shakes his head.

"This will be a problem."
He releases Legolas, who is tied to a large stone pillar, and draws the black dagger.

"Leave him alone!"
I scream, straining against Alatar's control.
He glares at me and I wish that I had kept my mouth shut. I knew that he was already furious because I was beginning to free myself, and now Legolas and I were both at the receiving end of his anger.

"Come here Amarth."
I will my legs to stop moving but they do not listen. Alatar places the dagger in my hand and I know what he is going to make me do.

Legolas' eyes beg me to stop. My own eyes begin to fill with tears as I raise the dagger.

"Amarth please, don't do this."
Doesn't he realize that I don't want to hurt him anymore?! He is finally healed from the darkness and now he is about to become its prisoner once again.

All because of me.

"Stop."
Alatar's command comes just in time. Legolas is just as confused as I am, both of us wondering why Alatar made me stop.

Then we both find out why. Aragorn had come.

////

Alatar forced me to fight Haldir while he focused on Aragorn and Gimli.

He throws both of them aside and turns his attention on Legolas, who has just been freed by two hobbits.

I can only hope that they escape, but that hope is in vain. While trying to aid them Gimli is struck down by Alatar. The hobbits are forced to flee as Alatar seizes Legolas.

Alatar has Aragorn and Haldir pinned on the floor, and now he is summoning me forward.

"Give me the dagger!"
Alatar roars, one arm is stretched out towards me and the other one is wrapped tightly around Legolas.

I walk stiffly to them with the dagger in hand my hand. If I give it to him, Middle Earth is doomed.

I stop.

I am not going to be the one to let Middle Earth fall. When Alatar commands me to give him the dagger a second time, I look him straight in the eye and step back.

"No."
Alatar screams in anger and throws Legolas aside. I barely have enough time to raise my sword to deflect his own. I keep the dagger away from him as we fight.

Soon Legolas joins the battle, Haldir and Aragorn have managed to break Alatar's power and aid us. He is weakening, we can defeat him.

I spoke too soon. In a last, desperate move Alatar sweeps my legs out from under me and knocks Aragorn and Haldir aside. My mouth opens in a silent scream as Alatar slashes the dagger through Legolas' heart.

But if there is one thing I learned about that elf, it's that he does not give up. He slices Alatar's hand off with his sword and he falls onto the floor, blood pouring from the wound on his chest.

Alatar had dropped the dagger and I retrieve it while he hollers in pain.

"Aragorn!"
I throw the dagger to him and he catches it. Aragorn plunges the dagger deep into Alatar's heart. There is a terrible noise coming from Alatar, and at the same time, from me.

My screams are drowned out by Alatar's and no one notices me as I stumble out of the tower, in more pain than I have ever been in my life.

Alatar is dead. He is finally dead. Every single one of my enemies is dead. All those who caused me pain and grief are dead.

And at the same time, I feel like I'm dying as well.

////

One more chapter.