Chapter 15

When I wake up I'm in my bed.

What?

I shoot up and wince as pain spikes inside my head at the sudden movement. I tenderly place one of my hands against my forehead. What happened last night?

Or was it several days ago? Did it just happen? Why can't I remember anything? I swing my legs over the side of my bed and push myself up with my arms.

I shake my head and try to remember something that will explain the fogginess I feel in my head but nothing comes to enlighten me.

Suddenly it hits me. I nearly collapse as the memory of what happen floods my mind. Alatar, what I overheard, what he saw in my mind, all of it comes crashing down on me at once.

I fly to the door and tear it open. I race down the stairs with one thing on my mind; tell Pallando everything.

I see the old man in the kitchen making breakfast. He smiles when he sees me.
"My you're up early Caran, is something wrong?"
I open my mouth, ready to tell him everything that happened yesterday.

"No, nothing is wrong. I just thought that I would have an early start."
What? I didn't say that! Why did I say that?
"Well that's nice Caran. Breakfast isn't quite ready yet so feel free to whatever you'd like until
then."

I nod my head and walk away.
No wait! I have to tell him about Alatar, why isn't my body listening to me?!
I try to turn myself around and go back to the kitchen but instead I sit down in my chair in silence.

I try to say something, anything, but I can't. It feels like I'm trapped inside of my own body, like I'm being controlled. Anger consumes me as I realize what's happening.

Alatar.

I sit there trying to break whatever hold he has on me but I'm unsuccessful. When Pallando announces that breakfast is ready I get up and walk to the table.

Except I didn't hear Pallando's voice. I heard it, but I couldn't understand what he was saying. I cannot even hear myself speak as I answer Pallando's unknown questions.

I am no longer in control of myself, I am only am observer. I can see but I can't hear, move, or talk. I fear that it only a matter of time before my vision leaves me as well.

Except it never does. At first I'm thankful for this one thing but soon I wish that even my sight was gone. Because when I get up from the table and leave the house I know where I'm going.

I scream for my body to stop moving but it's out of my control now. I can only watch helplessly as my legs carry me back to Alatar's lair.

////

I head down the same dark tunnel that I did yesterday and eventually I find myself back in the room where Alatar had found me.

The moment I step foot in the room the feeling of being trapped lifts from my mind and to my shock I can move my body again.

The first thing I do is turn around to face the door but just like last time only rock remains where a door should have been.

"Welcome back Caran."
I turn around slowly as Alatar appears from out of the shadows. I still fear him, but for now that fear is joined is joined by anger.

"What did you do to me?"
I demand clenching my hands into fists at my side.
"I could not let you return to Pallando and tell him everything could I? I had to make sure that he assumed that everything is normal with his pet elf while I borrow him."