Chapter 4

~Beauty~

"Scream and I'll let you fall."

The space between the building and the next is at least 24 feet, big enough to create a decent spaced alley. There is no way he can make that jump. I have the urge to squeeze my eyes shut expecting death, a splat or a sickening crack as our bones meet the pavement. But he's doing it. I cling to him for dear life. It feels like we're flying and then in a quick second his feet are on the next roof. Then he's charging and jumping again. Now, I shut my eyes as I choke on screams that refuse to make it past my vocal cords. It feels like an all too dangerous amusement park ride, one that can easily result in death.

How is he doing this?

After a few more gut wrenching jumps, he stops and slings me off his back. My knees buckle and I fall onto the floor. To be honest, I rather not get back up.

"Don't be a baby,'' he hisses and yanks me along with him. My mind whirls. It can't seem to form a cohesive thought.

He kicks the door to the building we've stopped on and it burst open. We run down all the flights of stairs, my feet tripping over themselves. Adrenaline from this high speed getaway is the only reason I'm able to keep up with The Beast. That, and he's dragging me. Otherwise, I would be tumbling down the stairs.

We are about to exit the building when he stops me.

"We're going to go outside now. You are going to hold my hand and act natural. If you try anything you will regret it." I can't see under his thick mask but the look in his eyes are as cold as ice. I should feel intimidated but I know I'll do anything to get away from him. I don't want to find out where he is taking me or his plans. I want to go home. So, I lie and nod my head in agreement.

"Shouldn't you take off your mask to blend in?" I ask, accidently voicing my thoughts.

He ignores me by turning away. He opens the door, taking my hand in his, and we settle on a moderate speed of walking. I pretend to play his game and keep casual for now.

The Beast keeps his head down because of his mask. Why didn't he take off his mask? He would fit in . . . Unless he doesn't want me to see his face. Maybe that's because he's going to let me go? Will trying to get away make him not let me go?

The wind rushes the adrenaline back into my bloodstream. My heart rate picks up even more and my hands start to sweat. I suddenly feel the anxiety choking me. It feels like there's a weight sitting on my chest. I need to get away from The Beast now or he'll kill me. But then, if I mess up even the slightest bit, it'll all be over.

I can't think. My brain feels all cloudy, like I'm just watching all this happening, like it's a dream or movie. But it's not! If I don't act now I'll never see my home again. This can be my only chance.

I feel sick . . .

Then, I'm pulled down an empty, dark alley towards a car. I realize we're going in the car and I just lost my only chance to escape. The sinking feeling starts again.

"No!" I shriek. I break free of his grip and run back down the block but in seconds The Beast has caught up to me. I kick, punch, bite, scratch, everything and anything. It's all for nothing. His hand is covering my mouth and everything goes black.

Hopeless. The word floats into my head. I am hopeless.

_____________

A high pitched shout causes me to wake with a start. "Criminals, Gale! Criminals! We had a deal and the deal stated that you only hurt criminals!"

"But I haven't hurt her! And besides, I was planning to let her go but . . ." The voice trails off. I recognize the deep grumble. It belongs to The Beast. The events that led up to this play back in my mind. I was just kidnapped by New York's most wanted criminal. I blacked out when he brought me to his car.