Chapter 40

~The Hunter~

"Belle!" I shout against the blaring music. "Belle!" It comes out sounding desperate, a broken cry in the middle of a happy celebration.

I didn't know at first but now I do. That was Belle. I was dancing with Belle. She's here as a guest. How? Why? All those things don't matter right now. All that matters is finding her again.

I shove people aside not caring that some fall over and give me mean stares. They don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I could care less. I'd drive a bulldozer right through this whole place if I had too.

I stop at a couple chatting by a painting. "Have you seen a girl with long brown hair and a red dress?" They shake their heads and I snicker at their uselessness.

"Good for nothings," I mumble as I rush away.

Red dress. Long brown hair. I scan the crowd for the combination as my heartbeat quickens. What if I'm running out of time? What if she's leaving?

I begin shoving through the crowd again.

Why was she here in the first place and how did that witch know? This is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

I'm about to ask some more people if they've seen her when a hand tugs on my sleeve. My heart leaps.

"Belle?"

Michelle stands in front of me, her face scrunched up. "Belle? Is that some girl you've been hanging out with tonight? Because you sure haven't been hanging out with me!" Her arms are crossed and her face is red.

She's annoyed?! I should be the annoyed one. Belle is out of my sight and I need to find her!

I roll my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose trying to conger up some patience. "I know, I know. But I'm really busy right now so-"

"Busy? What the heck, Grayson? Why did you even invite me here? Are you using me for something?"

The chime of the clock striking eleven makes me even more anxious to find Belle. It pushes out the last bit of kindness in me.

That's it.

"Look Michelle, I don't have time for your petty feelings. That is the least of my concerns when the love of my life is here!" I take a step forward, getting in her face. "So why don't you go get a cab and get out of my way!" I don't stick around to see the hurt over take her posture.

"You have some nerve, Grayson Bolton!" she screams as I walk away. I glance back to see her eyes lined with tears. The scary part is, I don't feel bad.

I look everywhere for Belle but it's like she just disappeared. Like magic. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I continue to walk when something crunches under my shoe. Lifting it up, I find it's a mask. Her mask.

I suck in a breath and exam it. She must have dropped it. It means she's been around here. There is a door leading to a stairwell right next to where it lied.

Without hesitation, I charge through the door and down the steps.

~The Beast~

My arms ache having been scraping against metal for so long. My back is cramped up and I feel dizzy from lack of oxygen. I've been stuck in these vents looking for a way out for the longest time.

Still, the most strongest sensation I feel is the fear that Belle might die tonight. It's been hours since I've last spoken to her. If anything happens to her I will never forgive myself. She's the only thing motivating me to keep crawling through these vents. I need to get out and find her. I need to keep her safe.