Chapter 24

~Beauty~

"Oh..." I take in his words and find myself feeling deep regret for lashing out on him. An experience like that could mess anyone up. "I'm so sorry...I had no idea."

Gale sits, staring out into space with a haunted expression, saying nothing. I feel an urge to comfort him. Even though he is my kidnapper, he's made bad decisions, and looks like a monster, he's human. A broken human who was left all alone.

"Why did she turn into a rose?" The question surfaces. "Does it have any particular meaning?"

"Roses were my mother's favorite." he replies, his voice hoarse. "And the witch has some obsession with them too."

My hand brushes his. He awakens from his trance and stares at it. After a moment, without a word or any eye contact, he wraps his giant hand around mines and squeezes it.

We sit together like this for a while and I don't move because everyone needs someone to hold onto, to stabilize them, to remind them they aren't alone. For me, that was Grayson. For Gale, that was his mother. But with her gone he's had no one. That could turn anyone into a beast.

~The Hunter~

The school bell rings, causing waves of students to hurry down the halls to get to class. I reluctantly close my locker and swing my backpack over one shoulder.

It's my first day back at school after my recovery from the attack and I can't say I'm completely overjoyed. I just rather not have to worry about test scores or projects on top of the whole Belle thing. But at my first meeting with the psychiologist she said it would be great for me to not focus all my energy on her because it was unhealthy. I guess she's kind of right.

My history room is noisy with students chit chatting and setting up for class but as I make my way to the seat in the back, the noise dies down. After taking my notebook out I look up to find everyone has turned around to face me. They stare at me like I'm some exotic animal or celebrity. I usually like this kind of attention when it comes to football but right now I'm kind of creeped out...

"Um...You guys alright?" I ask, perplexed.

My teacher, Mr.Elson, starts to clap and the rest of the class slowly joins in one big round of applause. I look around thinking I'm missing something when a girl I don't recognize pats me on the back.

"You're so brave, Grayson!" she says, her eyes filled with admiration.

"Yea! You were going to go fight a murderer!" some boy adds.

"I don't know anyone braver or as selfless as him!"

"He's amazing!"

"He deserves an award!"

The voices go on and on till my head is spinning and the class is in an uproar.

"Guys!" I yell, standing on top of the chair of my desk. Everyone quiets down, all the attention back on me. "What are you talking about?"

"Why, your attempt to save Belle. We found out why you left school for a bit. You were searching for her when you were attacked," Mr.Elson says it like he's bragging about his child to another parent.

"Uh...yea. Kind of embarrassing- getting beat up like that..." I admit rubbing the back of my neck while stepping off the chair.

"No it's not! It was so noble of you," the girl that praised me before corrected. "You know, you're kind of hot."

I step away from her and bow my head awkwardly. "Thanks...?"

"It's people like you that make this world a better place," the teacher concludes. "Now, let's start class. We can't spend all day drooling over him, can we?" He winks at the girl beside me while the class chuckles. I just sit back in my seat in shock.

How did they find out? And why were they making such a big deal out of it?

I mean...it was kind of heroic of me, wasn't it? Risking my life for Belle and all. But Belle means the world to me. Anyone would do it for someone they loved right? Well, maybe not. Belle's mother is the one that let The Beast take her in the first place. She should have begged The Beast to take her instead or anything really. But she didn't...she was a coward.

I feel a small smile creep onto my face. No one has ever really recognized me for all the things I've done besides football. I took care of Belle for years and never got a good job or thank you from her mother or anyone else. Not even Belle could repay me by at least telling me if she shared the same feelings towards me as I did for her.

Maybe I did deserve the praise from this classroom. Maybe I am kind of a hero.

The rest of the day is filled with stares of admiration and pats on the back. I even found a bunch of notes in my locker telling me how awesome I am and wishing that I'd recover fast and well. It made me feel appreciated and...good. It feels good to be recognized and noticed.

"Hey, man!" Johnny, one of the Juniors on the football team, comes over to give me a bro-hug. "How you feeling? Think you can still nail a touchdown?"

"Of course, dude! I wouldn't be captain if I couldn't," I reply giving him a goofy grin.

"I've heard you've been out trying to save lives. Don't tell me there's a big "S" hidden under your shirt," he teases gripping his helmet under his arm.

I shrug my shoulder and place my football uniform back in the locker. While all the praise and idolization feels nice, it doesn't feel all that right. I did try to rescue Belle but in the end I hadn't. She's not back at home reading a book and tending to her deadbeat mother's every need.

"I tried to save her but I didn't. That doesn't make me so super," I mumble, starting to feel like a loser.

"Sure it does!" Johnny slings his arm around my shoulder, bouncing me around while he speaks. "You tried, man. That's more than anyone else has done. Now, quit your moping and smile! You're a hero!"

I chuckle and nod to make him let go. Let's just say after a game, people's armpits don't smell like roses.

"We should celebrate!" Johnny suggest, his brown eyes swimming in excitement. "Jenna is throwing a party tomorrow. We can go there!"

My first instinct is to decline. Wouldn't it be wrong to party while Belle might be suffering? But my thoughts switch directions as I remember what I said in the car the other day. I said I would keep my head up for Belle and to do that I can't sit around being sad. Besides, I do deserve it.

"Sure," I decide. "Sounds fun."

Author's Note - Don't forget to leave a vote and comment! Have a nice day!