Chapter 52

~Beauty~

The wind howls in my ears as the sun starts to hide behind the horizon line. I don't blame it. What's about to go down might be ugly.

My head throbs, imagining everything that could go wrong. Imagining all the things that probably already went wrong. I hope Grayson didn't hurt himself setting that fire. I hope he hasn't caused any damage that can get him in trouble with the law, and I pray to God that Gale hasn't fallen into his trap yet.

I'm going 10 miles over the speed limit when the building comes into view. I leave Pedro a few feet away so it won't get burned. Then, taking a breath and giving Pedro a bye pet, I descend into the small forest like yard around the building.

The building is surely abandoned but so is the land around it. There are no other structures around, only an empty field with untrimmed grass and trees. The grass stands so tall that I can hardly see in front of me.

How on earth will I find Grayson?

"Grayson! Grayson, it's Belle! We need to talk!" I shout while shifting through the grass. The grass casts shadows on the crooked trees and I can't help but feel like I'm being watched. I pull my jacket closer to my body and keep moving. "Grayson!"

My eyes land on the horrid sight just a few feet in front of me.

"No way." I saw the building a few moments before but now. . . I can really see it. It stands in the middle of the upcoming darkness like a flaming torch in the night. A beautiful piece of chaos. The fire reaches out the windows like they're trying to escape and smoke leaks out of the center.

What has he done?

If I needed anymore proof that Grayson has gone off the deep end, then this right here is enough. I came here thinking I could reason with him by talking. Can I really do that? I don't want to admit it but I think he's too far gone. He's trying to kill Gale. He's determined to.

I'm not sure I want to find him. What if he tries to hurt me? No. . . Grayson would never do that. Besides, he's doing all this for me. Or at least he thinks he is.

"Gray-" my shout gets cut off by a sweaty hand wrapping around my mouth and another arm snaking around my waist to pull me away. I instinctively start to fight off the figure. I flail my arms and plant my feet firm in the ground. Then, I stop, realization calms me. It must be Grayson.

"Shh," the voice soothes. "You're gonna draw attention. The cops are already on their way. You won't let them find me, right?" I shake my head against the hand, silently agreeing. Besides, I'd recognize the voice anywhere. It is Grayson.

He slowly releases me. The moment I can move freely, I turn to face him.
I saw him only a few hours ago but again I am struck by the madness in his eyes.

"What are you doing here, Belle?!" he demands, staring me down.

My mind races. I know I have to chose my decisions carefully now. There's no amount of reason that can persuade him to stop all of this. I need to give him exactly what he wants.

"I came here for you, Grayson." I cross my fingers behind my back hoping those two years of middle school drama pay off.

He tilts his head to the side, confused. "What do you mean?"

The fire crackles in the distance, urging me to hurry. I imagine the flames reaching out to us from the hollow building. I could practically feel the fire licking at our faces.

"I . . . I realized I was wrong. I do want to be with you." Even as I say it, I know it isn't very believable. I reach out to stroke his cheek for effect but he just slaps it away.