Chapter 14

~The Hunter~

For the next 3 days, I searched up as many castles as I possibly could that exist in NY state and just out of it. Unfortunately, most were in ruins or open to the public. The Beast couldn't inhabit a place that was hanging on by it's last hinge and a public location isn't exactly the greatest place to have a hide out.

But I did find a website selling castle like mansions upstate. It took some work but I managed to convince my mom to pretend she was an interested buyer. This way we could check out all the mansions in the area without looking suspicions.

I just finish putting on my suit when my mother calls to me from downstairs. "You better be wearing that suit when I get up there!"

"I am!" I reply while taking another look in the mirror. I make sure I look like the son of a family who can afford a "castle like mansion."

My mother reaches the room, looks me over, and gives me a nod of approval. Once that's over, the look I've been getting from everyone takes over her expression.

"Mom, can you please stop looking at me like that? You're making me crazy."

She sighs and sits on my bed, her ponytail bobs with the movement. "I know. You're probably sick of this look."

"I am because I'm not going crazy. I'm just doing what Belle would do for me, not give up, trying my best to find her. Why does that make me crazy?" I rant, letting out all my fustration.

"It doesn't make you crazy, it's just..." she takes a breath and pats the seat next to her. I sit and she rest her hand on my knee. "You're desperate to find her and that's totally understandable. It's just sometimes I worry that...that it might be getting to you." She chews her lip and looks up at me sadly.

"I appreciate your concern mom but-"

"I want you to see someone, Grayson. That dream you had, the one you went to the police about, it was probably from stress and trauma."

"If you don't want to help me-"

"I will still help you look for Belle in the castle sales tonight but you have to promise me you'll go to a therapist," she comprises.

The idea of talking to a person about my feelings and hours of feeling like loon makes me cringe but the bags under my mother's eyes make me agree.

"Okay. I promise."

She smiles and opens her arms for a hug. "Come here."

Three hours later we make it to a site where all the mansions are. Each mansion comes with their own few acres of land, promising privacy. They stand on the grass like shiny trophies on a shelf.

There aren't much people around, only a woman who seems to be in charge and a few well dressed lingering on lookers.

"Hello! Welcome to our sale!" the woman says. She wears a big smile on her face and rushes over to our car to shake our hands. Her arms are lined with exspensive looking bracelets that make noise when she moves her hands.

"Hello!" my mother greets, shaking her hand. "We're just going to look around on our own for a bit."

"Oh, that's fine," she says cheerfully. "I'll be here if you need anything."

My mom nods and smiles. When the woman walks away my mom raises the car window and turns to me. "I'm going to actually look at some of the mansions so we don't seem suspicious. If any one catches you, you were looking for a bathroom."

"Alright, mom." I reach for the car door but she grabs my arm to stop me.

"Grayson Bolton, you better be careful. If you do find Belle or The Beast or anything else call the police first. Don't you dare handle it yourself. I could have lost you the day you went out with Mrs. Anderson." Her eyes tear up, she swallows hard. "If I loose you this time..."