Q&A

Hello! It's been a while but I thought I'd publish this Q&A for you all! Hope you enjoy it!

Question: What gave you inspiration, besides Beauty and the Beast, to make this story a more modern version of the classic? 

A: Well, originally the retelling was going to take place in the 1700s in one of the earlier drafts. As I got to writing I realized that things were different back then and it would be harder for readers to relate to the characters and their situations. A modern version is also always fun to play around with especially when updating familiar aspects of the old tale into newer versions. For example, I wanted to incorporate the magic handheld mirror the Beast had in the Disney movie somehow. In this story, that mirror became the Mirror Mirror app on Belle's laptop that allowed her to see Grayson. A minor but fun detail. Furthermore, I got to update the character of Gaston. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for a 17 year old Grayson to be begging for Belle's hand in marriage but it did make sense for him to have a long lasting childhood crush that became quiet obsessive. 

Question: How did you go about developing your characters? Was there a certain technique you used or did you just develop your characters as you went along in the story? 

A:  From the beginning, I knew I wanted all of my main characters: Belle, Grayson, and Gale (even Belle's mother!) to go through some major change in character. Gale's seemed the most basic. Beast to gentlemen. The tricky thing about him was figuring out how he was going to get there and the timing. What I did was outline what changes I wanted to happen to him by the end of the story and then list what it would take for him to get there. What would he have to understand? What feelings would he have to face? What would he have to do? Then, I added sitations that would guide his character down that journey to my plot outline. It was a similar process with the rest of the characters. I think character development is all about knowing where you want to get your character and how before you start writing. 

Question: Why did you choose to tell this story using three point of views? 

A: I was very conflicted about choosing how to narrate this book. I had originally planned to tell the story from only Belle's perspective but I strongly felt that my three main characters were equally as important and had just as much to say. About half-way through writing I had the idea of taking the story down and re-writing it all in third person point of view. I eventually turned this idea down because first person point of view is more intimate and personal then third person which always felt like some all- knowing- being was telling the story to readers. 

Question: What was the easiest thing about writing this story? 

A: I'd say writing it. The tricky stuff was the planning and the editing but writing a scene in the moment flowed naturally and was the most fun!

Question: What was the hardest thing about writing this story? 

A: Writing consitently. It's hard to sit down and write when you don't want to. Pushing through writers block is a nightmare and I challenged myself to write a chapter every week. In the end it was worth it because the story stood fresh in my brain and I was able to finish this offical first draft in under a year.

Question: HAVE YOU NO PITY FOR GRAYSON?! 

A: One of the perks of being an author is you get to be a supervillian! I defintely feel bad for Grayson and it hurt my heart to make him go through all that he did BUT I did enjoy writing about his downfall. Making him go slowly go insane was interesting. Finding what would make him tick, creating a toxic environment, planting hate in his heart- okay I'm starting to sound evil.

Question: What's your favorite chapter? 

A: While I hold all of the chapters near and dear to my heart I would have to say my favorite is . . . chapter 39-40 the masquerade party chapters. I know that's two chapters but I feel like they go in a couple. It's my favorite because it was intense, action packed, and the stakes were high. Plus masquerades are naturally un to write about.

Question: Would you ever consider writing a sequel? 

A: While I am very attached to these characters and this tale, I feel as though the story is over. There isn't much left to tell and what's still hanging in the air is left for readers to decide. Though, I'd love to do a spin-off based on Grayson and the witch (sepereately). I'm thinking Grayson's spin-off will be a Rapunzel retelling and Gabrielle's (the witch) will be Princess and the Pea, 12 Dancing Princesses, and Hansel and Grettle mashup. An origin story kind of thing. 

Thanks for the questions!