Chapter 42

~The Hunter~

Belle and I use to love to go to the park on Saturday's. It was our thing. She enjoyed being around nature and having time to think about stuff while I enjoyed it because of the races we would have. Yep. We raced. We were two seventeen year old's chasing each other around a park. Very mature.

Leaning back against the brick wall of the museum, I close my eyes and remember one specific day.

We're walking through one of the grass fields in the park. It's hot out - the end of summer to be exact. Belle wears ripped leggings and a tank top. Her hair has been freshly cut and just passes her shoulders but it's pulled up in a pony tail. A bright yellow flower is tucked behind her ear where I had put it earlier.

"Hey, Belle!" She lifts her head and raises a suspicious eyebrow at me.

"Yea?"

"Race you to that tree!" I point to a giant tree in the distance. It's short but it's branches are long and stretch out into different directions like a graceful dancer.

"You're on!" She gives me one of her determined gazes before taking off towards the tree. She runs ahead of me for a while but then I pick up speed. I pump my arms and push my legs to go faster. I pass her and arrive at the tree.

Turning around, I rest my hands on my knees to catch my breath. But Belle doesn't notice my sudden stop and crashes into me.

We fall onto the ground with a thud. She lands on top of me with her hands resting on the soil on either side of my head. My eyes widen and my cheeks turn red. But Belle seems to not notice the awkward position and pouts.

"You beat me!" she exclaims, obviously frustrated. She doesn't move from the position and a part of me leaps at the chance that maybe she does feel the same way about me.

I chuckle and tap her nose playfully. "I always catch up to you. I will always catch up to you."

That's what I did today. I caught up to her. But it wasn't enough. Nothing I do is ever enough.

The witch practically laid the whole plan out in front of me: Go to the party and get the girl. I was close! Heck, I even danced with her. But still I was stupid and recognized her too late and now she's gone all over again! Then, I saved her from who I thought was The Beast and instead some other guy. Some crazy guy with a gun who was threatening Belle for who knows what reason?!

The closer and closer I get to finding Belle the more complicated and unbelievable things get.

I kick the garbage can next to me, sending it toppling over. I was so close to getting her back. I had her in my arms!

Dang it, Belle. Why were you at this party? Why was that man trying to hurt you?

I miss her so much. I would give anything to have her back at home safe and sound.

The police are done questioning me so I walk over to Pedro and sit for a while. The little clock reads: 2:30 am. My parents are gonna freak. Just fabulous.

I didn't tell the police about the note I got from the witch or dancing with Belle. I told them Michelle invited me to this event and I heard noise coming from downstairs. That I was curious and followed it to find a man fighting with a girl who appeared to be Belle.

Officer Browns, the lead officer on the case, was there. When he heard that I could see he was far more than skeptical. He clearly thought I was seeing things. That the Belle part was all in my head. He probably thinks I should be locked away in a mental institution. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a straight jacket waiting for me at home.

I guess all that's left to do is go home and wait to hear back from the police. Maybe that man will explain what happened tonight and I'll get a step closer to Belle.

I turn the key in the ignition and drive away. I tap my fingers on the wheel feeling anxious but my eyelids feel heavy. When is the last time I got a good night of sleep?

I inhale and breathe in the smell of perfume and mints. The car smells like Michelle.

I wish it would go back to smelling like new books and strawberry shampoo. I wish it would to back go smelling like Belle.

Maybe I should call Michelle and apologize... After all, with her I got closer to Belle than I ever had. Who knows when I'll need to use her again?

~The Beast~

Belle sits cross legged on the couch staring straight into the fire. Her eyes capture the light and it dances in her pupils like a beautiful wildfire. She's changed into her pj's and her hair is pulled back. She almost looks like a normal teenage girl. I worry about her though. She hasn't said a single word for a while now.

"Belle?" She doesn't turn her head at her name or show any sign of hearing me. "You're scaring me."

Her mouth twitches showing a hint of a smirk but her eyes don't light up like they usually do. "I'm scaring me too."

My eyes travel the bruises all over her. Her arms where Tyler grabbed her, her feet where she ran pulling me along with her. All to assure I could break the curse. She did this for me. She didn't even try to escape tonight. She could have gone to the police. Could she...could she care about me?

That's a crazy thought. But all evidence leads to it being true.

All I know for sure is that I care about her.

My bullet wound healed a while ago but I'm still a beast. Carina said not to lose hope yet. That maybe we just have to wait a little longer. Maybe the witch hasn't realized I did something to break the curse yet. I'm not sure what I think. All I know is that I put Belle through a whole lot of stuff tonight.

She almost died.

She still hasn't filled me in on what happened and as curious as I am, I won't rush her. She needs time. I'm sure she's still trying to understand it all herself.

"Gale, I don't want to be alone in my room," she finally says snapping out of her trance. "Can I stay out here? Just for tonight?"

"Of course." I get up to leave her to herself but she grabs my arm her eyes glassy with tears.

"Can you stay?"

I nod and settle beside her. I try to maintain a safe distance but she moves closer. She rest her head on my chest and I'm so shocked it takes me a second to process it.

She actually wants to touch me?

Hesitantly, I wrap an arm around her. "I'm sorry, Belle. For everything."

She sniffles and shakes her head. "I forgive you."

And just like that a huge load is lifted off my shoulders. "You can sleep," I tell her. "You're safe."

"I know," she mumbles.

Author's Note- That was short but hopefully sweet! Vote and comment! Thanks!