Chapter 30

~The Hunter~

My life is sinking like an anchor in the ocean and it is only a matter of time until I drown.

The fights with my parents never seemed to stop. Soon, the house became a storm cloud ready to strike everyone in it. I distanced myself from my mom which she hated and every time we did speak all we did was anger each other. My father tried to come into my life but I didn't want him back. I just wanted to be left alone. Then after fighting with me they'd fight with each other about me. It was an endless cycle.

School was my escape. Ever since they found out about the Belle rescue mission, everyone seemed to love me even more and supported me no matter what. I had about a dozen friends to hang with for each class and it was a great distraction. I'd tell them about how brave I was and they'd swoon over it. It was great that they recognized it, it built my self esteem until it exploded all the way up to the sky.

I was still attending therapy sessions with my therapist but I was beginning to hate going. I didn't like what she was telling me.

"Grayson, it seems you have found a way of coping but I'm afraid it isn't a healthy way," she said keeping a kind expression. "You need to face your problems not hide from them. I know it's hard but-"

What a load of crap. She doesn't have any idea what I'm going through and never will so she has no right to judge. Her and her perfect life can't understand me.

Which brings me to my next escape. Football. Putting all my energy into the game really clears my head and is the only time where I feel at peace. We've been having practice all week long in preparation for the big game in about a month. But every time I think about the game, I'm reminded that Belle won't be cheering me on in the crowd and it kills me. It makes me angry. I use that anger in practice.

"Bolton!" Coach shouts from across the wide track field on school campus. "Stop your daydreaming and get on the field! We're doing ten laps, go!" I join the rest of the team and when I do Zack, a player I don't really talk to, snickers.

"You got a problem, man?" I ask taking in his pursed lips and furrowed eyebrows.

"Coach let you miss five laps. All this praise and worship because you tried to save a hopeless cause. It makes me sick," Zack mumbles. I come to a hault and snatch his arm.

"Wanna say that a little louder?"

He pulls away, scowling. "You didn't even save her! She's still out there isn't she? You failed and I don't understand why that deserves praise! They treat you like a hero!" he shouts.

I feel my face heat up and clench my fists. "You better shut up or-"

"Or what? You'll try to fight me? Then you'll get a gold star for participation!" He chuckles bitterly and shakes his head at me. He starts to walk away and I start to let him but then he turns around and adds,"And next time you try to save someone, go after someone who's actually worth it."

My fist connects with his jaw and he stumbles back. I don't stop. I throw in two more punches and then kick him to the ground. I jump on top of him and grab him by the collar of his shirt.

"Belle, is worth everything. You hear me? And she's certainly worth more than your pathetic life!"

I'm ready to continuing punching him when three teammates grab hold of me and drag me away.

Zack uncovers his face to reveal a busted nose and bruised face. I expect to feel guilty but I don't. In fact, I want to go in for more. I keep thrashing around until Coach yells and blocks Zack off.

"Bolton! What's gotten into you?! Showers and then to my office!" At first I don't move but after a moment I huff and head to the locker room. As I'm walking, the rest of team look at me with a vary of expressions. Some frown, some scowl, some look...afraid. Like they don't recognize me anymore. But to be honest, I'm not sure I recognize myself either.

I open my locker and place my uniform inside. A small slip of paper glides out and falls on the ground. Unfolding it, I realize it's a note Belle wrote to me a long while back. Before my first real game.

Hey Grayson! Just wanted to say good luck out there and I know you'll rock it! Just be you and have fun! I'll not only be in the crowd to cheer you on but also in your heart...Okay that was a little cheesy.

-Sincerely Belle

I sigh and sit on the bench.

Whether I like it or not Belle is always going to be a part of my life, always in my heart. Everything always comes back to her. Finding her isn't enough anymore. When I find her, I'll also find The Beast and make him pay for taking her away from me.

~Beauty~

"Do you need another blanket?" Gale offers looking quite concerned. While only a few minutes by the fire seemed to warm him up, a hot shower, warm clothes, and two quilts hasn't stopped me from shivering.

I shake my head and pull the blanket up to chin. The couch is so soft that I sink into it. I couldn't be more comfy. "I'm okay. Thank you."

He sighs and collapses next to me. He pulls his hood over his head and just stares at me, as if I won't notice now that his hood is up. His blue eyes travel my face like waves travel the ocean. His eyebrows are pulled down in focus, like he's trying to solve a puzzle.

"What?" I ask, breaking his gaze.

"I just..." he inhales a sharp breath and frowns. "I just don't understand."

My hair sticks to my face as I lean forward, my curiosity peeked. "What don't you understand?"

His eyes drop to the ground. "Why you saved me."

The only noise filling the silence is the flames crackling from the fireplace. Their light illuminates the dark room as I replay today's events in my head. Gale saved me from drowning in the lake and almost died doing so. But I didn't let him. I saved him.

I know I didn't save him because I felt like I owed him. I don't owe anything to the person that kidnapped me, even if he did save me first. The answer is quite obvious.

"Because you're a person. Who would I be to just let you die?" Gale shakes his head at the response and huffs.

"But I kidnapped you. If you let me die, you could have got away!" he argues. I feel a little pang in my heart as I realize where Gale may be coming from.

Softly, I ask, "Did you want me to let you die?" There's another round of silence. This time the flames create shadows that dance on Gale's beastly face.

"Maybe..." he admits, his voice even quieter than mine. Before I can push him any further he continues. "But what you did was really kind. Thank you."

Carina rushes into the living room with some hot chocolate on a tray while her dirty blonde hair bounces in a messy bun. She hands one to me and the other to Gale.

"After a scary event like that hot chocolate will do you some good," she says with a sweet smile. She joins us on the couch and puts on a film so we can watch all together.

The movie is a comedy and we end up sharing a few good laughs together. But by the end of it I'm reminded of Grayson and how we use to watch movies together all the time. Suddenly, the movie isn't as funny.

Whether I enjoy the pain or not, Grayson will always be a part of my life. Even miles and miles away from him, everything I do, everything I say, everything that happens, leads back to him.

If only hot chocolate and a movie could solve all of our problems.

Author's Note- I feel like you guys don't like Grayson's point of view all that much but just trust me it's important to the plot!

Can you guess why?

Vote and comment!