Chapter 45

~The Beast~

I finish packing the picnic basket and place it in the back of my trunk along with the towels and umbrella. Belle doesn't know it yet but I planned for us to spend the day at a quiet and usually empty beach a few miles away from here. I thought it would be fun and more interesting than spending the day cooped up in the castle. Besides, it'll be a good way to wrap things up. Her last memory with me will be a good one.

Carina strolls out of the castle to me with one of her usual sweet smiles. "A day at the beach. I'm sure Belle will appreciate it." She takes a breath, her thumbs resting in her jean pockets. "You and Belle have come a long way. If I didn't know the things I do I wouldn't have saw it coming."

I rest an arm on the hood of my car and raise an eyebrow at her. What does she mean? "See what coming?"

She shakes her head, dismissing it. "Nevermind. I'm going to head back inside." She starts to walk back with a pep in her step. "Have fun!" She waves as her braid swishes. I realize that she looks happy. Carina has always looked happy but before Belle came it's always seemed like an act. Like she was putting on a smile hoping that it would spread onto me.

This seems to make what I have to tell her even harder to say so I force the words out of my mouth before I can change my mind.

"I think I should let her go."

There's a long silence in which Carina steps towards me and stares for a long time. I stare back.

"Belle? You would really do that? You know that would come with consequences, right? The police, they'll-"

I cut her off. "I know what will happen, Carina. I'm willing to pay that price. For Belle." I try to replicate the fierce and strong look Belle constantly has in her eyes but I know I'll never be able to. I'm not as strong as her.

She looks away and I can see there are tears in her eyes. She swallows before saying," I've never been so proud." Then she wraps her arms around me and holds me tightly, like I might slip away. Maybe I will without Belle.

"I'm gonna miss her so much..." I mumble, my voice on the brink of cracking. I didn't think I would end up caring so much about Belle. I knew I kidnapped her because I wanted someone around but that whole time I was thinking about myself. My whole life has always been about me. And before I knew it, suddenly, it was all about her. Carina rubs my back in response.

"I know, love. I will too." She pulls away and sniffles. "But you have to be strong and make this day count. Enjoy it."

"I'll try," I mumble. But how could I with the huge cloud of dread hanging over me? Belle makes me so happy. She understands me. She's there for me even when I don't deserve it. Belle has become such an important piece of my life and I'm about to let her go forever.

~Beauty~

About two hours later, Gale parks in an abandoned camp site. I hear the leaves and twigs crunch under the wheels of the car and flash Gale an eager smile. We parked just alongside the beach, almost on the sand.

It's not that big of a beach. It's really just a faint strip of sand with the water rolling in steady patterns. But it's still perfect and beautiful and all I could ever want in a beach. Plus, we have it all to ourselves.

I was surprised when Gale showed up to my bedroom door proposing we spend the day at the beach. He said it was an empty one where he could walk around without a mask and not worry. It has been so long since I've been to a beach and these days have been unseasonably hot. It's perfect. I can't wait to feel the sand on my feet and the cool, salty water on my skin.