Vol.2 / Chapter 3 : "The Heiress"

Rei walked behind Weiss, following her to whatever location she was taking him.

"Weiss? Where are you taking me?" Rei asked, noticing the stares coming from around him.

"You'll see." Weiss responded, continuing her cold composure.

"Look. That's Princess Weiss. Who's that guy she's with? He looks cute." A girl whispered to his right.

"What's a beautiful Princess doing with a guy like that? I bet he couldn't stand two minutes in a fight." Whispered another male in he same direction.

"Do people usually say things like this when you go out on your own?" Rei asked his kid-sister.

"Of course. I'm an heiress, there's bound to be drama whenever I'm spotted with an unfamiliar male." Weiss responded.

"We're here." Weiss happily said, smiling and moving out of the way. Rei's eyes widened, as if asking Weiss a question. She nodded, knowing the question without Rei even saying a word.

Before him stood a cafe. It looked like a normal cafe, nothing abnormal except the words atop:

"Crystal's Cafe, Home of Crystal Schnee!"

---

"So why is this place named after mother?" Rei asked bluntly.

"The owner here really worshipped Mother, so when she died they named their shop after her." Weiss explained.

"Makes some sense."

"Anyway, I'm sure you're confused as to why I brought you down here and away from the others." Weiss stated, sipping from her latte shed ordered.

"Somethings wrong. With the Schnee household, I mean. My father suspects one of our servants have turned on us and began leaking information about the castle's weak points."

"And what am I supposed to do about this?" Rei asked her. Weiss' eyes widened in surprise.

"Well, I thought you could investigate for me. After the duel." Weiss stated simply.

"That's if I live." Rei replied, a sober look spreading across his face.

"It's not a duel-to-the-death." Weiss said after a small pause.

"By the look in his eye, it is."

----

"Good afternoon, class. As you all should know by now, I am Professor Goodwitch, your substitute for Ms.Peach while she is or sick. Now, would anyone like to tell me what we're learning currently?" Glynda asked, addressing the class. Pyrrha Nikos raised her hand after taking a deep breath.

"Professor, we were learning about Hunter Levels. Me.Peach had just mentioned it to us before class ended last period." Pyrrha's explained.

"Thank, Ms.Nikos. Now, Hunter levels are a way of measuring a hunter/huntress' power and skill. The majority of you are level 25 right now. There are also ranks, in which once you reach a certain level you are allotted the corresponding name:

Rank 1 - Rank 25 ; Huntsman/Huntresses in training

Rank 26 - Rank 39 ; Junior Huntsman/Huntress

Rank 40 - Rank 59 ; Huntsman/Huntress

Rank 60 - Rank 100 ; Advanced Huntsman/Huntress

Does anyone want me to repeat the information?"

---

"Hey, Yang! What was your rank again?" Ruby shouted loudly, demanding an answer.

"Aw shiz, I think I forgot...." Yang said, trailing her words.

"Yang is a rank 32. I am a rank 32 as well." Blake said blankly.

"Yes, I am a rank 33. It's only natural I have a higher rank than you all. After all, I am an heiress." Weiss mocked, nearly dancing around.

"What about you Rubes? What rank did you get?" Yang asked eagerly. She was very excited to hear her rank, as the only 15 year old in a school full of 16 and 17 year olds was sure to have a high rank.

"I think he said rank 30? Although there were a lot of loud noises, loud people, cookies...." Ruby suddenly began drooling, losing herself in the thought of cookies.

"Coooookkkieeesss."

"Hey, where's Rei?" Blake asked suddenly, revealing the fact that he'd gone and hidden himself.

"Rei?" Yang shouted, trying to find him.

"Guys! Help me!" Yang gestured towards the crowd of ever-growing students eager to find their ranks.

---

Rei sat alone, outside the walls of his classroom. He'd suck out earlier, opening a window and leaping from tree to tree. He looked down at his paper, the small slip of paper that contained his hunter rank.

"Rei, would mind coming down for a minute? I won't bite." Pyrrha's called from under the tree. Rei looked at her for a slight second, surprised that another student had left class.

"Need something?" Rei asked once he'd reached the bottom of the tree.

"I see you're also a rank 41. We have already achieved the rank of Hunter/Huntress. And as far as I know, we are the only two in our class." Pyrrha's announced, although rather quietly.

"Guess we are." Rei replied, clearly not interested.

"Is something wrong?" Pyrrha asked, suddenly sensing his self doubt. Or was it anxiety? She couldn't know, didn't know. The only way she'd know was if she asked him and he responded with the truth.

"What if I'm not worthy of being a huntsman? I mean, the only reason I came to beacon was so that I could get stronger in order to kill someone." Rei said, admitting the true reason he'd come to Beacon.

"Well, we all have our reasons. And from what I've heard from your three sisters, Yang , Ruby, and Weiss, you're a noble person. I think that when the time comes, you'll make the right decision. That's what being a huntsman-huntress is about. Making the right decision."