Vol.3 / Chapter 7 : "Rank 70"

Rei sat in the hospital room, his body turned towards the unconscious Yuki. Someone suddenly placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You know, from what Weiss tells me, you've spent a large amount of time in the hospital." Winter said, giving him a small smile.

"I might as well at this rate." Rei replied solemnly, refusing to speak to anyone.

"It's a shock to me and Weiss as well, seeing our mother alive." Winter stated suddenly, looking down at the tiled floors.

Their mother, Crystal Schnee, was in fact alive. She was in the room directly to their left, undergoing intense surgery.

"Everything's a shock now." Winter paused after Rei had said that, giving him an envious look.

"Have you ever heard of 'The Inheritance'?" Winter asked suddenly.

"No, I haven't." Rei replied.

"Shall I tell you a story then?" Winter joked. Of course she was going to tell him why The Inheritance actually was, but why not have some fun with it? After all, it had been quite sometime since they got a chance to talk about their normal lives and not catch up on what they had missed.

"I'm not six anymore, Winter."

"Then I'll skip the story." Winter replied.

"The Inheritance can only be obtained by a spirit beast holder, and when obtained...." Winter lead off, smiling as she saw his curiosity grow.

"One's rank will increase by a minimum of 20."

---

"Long time no see, beautiful." Mercury said as he moved his bangs back into place. He stood across from Yang, who stood across from him on the arena.

"They actually let you in this tournament?" Yang seethed, her voice almost drowned out by the large stadium filled with fans and innocent bystanders. The Vytal Festival had begun, and currently the singles bracket was beginning.

"Yeah, well they didn't have a choice." Mercury replied, smiling in a way that pissed Yang off even more.

"I'll crush you." Yang said. Her voice barely audible. Mercury scoffed.

"Last time, you needed your little sister to beat me."

"I'm not the same as last time." Yang suddenly exploded in flames, charging forward as soon as the bell rang.

"Blazing Lion's fist!" Yang shouted, her fist being consumed by flames. Mercury effortlessly dodged the strike before doing multiple backflips and landing casually.

"You even have names for your attacks?" He said, barely holding in a laugh.

"Just wait. You won't be laughing when you're dead." Yang said, charging forward again.

Did she really say that? Did she really just threaten to kill someone? Yang knew something had felt off ever since Mercury had stood on the stage, but she couldn't wrap her finger around it. Instead, she only concentrated on landing as many strikes as she could.

---

"You should go. Your match will be up soon." Winter said, her hand still placed on Rei'd shoulder.

"Winter." Rei said suddenly, his voice a very low tone.

"Yes?" Winter replied.

"I already have obtained The Inheritance."

"What!? Then your rank should have-"

"I am a rank 76 advanced huntsman."

---

Yang launched the final blow, sending a very bloodied Mercury flying out of the arena.

"I warned you." Yang said, shouting in victory. She suddenly gave Mercury a thumbs-down.

"There's no way you'd beat a rank 70 advanced huntress."