chapter 9: confession

I was with the wolves for over a month before anything exciting actually happened. I spent the time I was awake mostly with Anya and Jason, Shane was around too but didn't say much. At night he still stayed with me but instead of staying quiet, he talked constantly.

Sometimes he would stop, asking me if he was talking too much. I found it funny because I actually liked listening to him. He was very interesting. He would also stop and ask if he was keeping me up. Most of the time, he wasn't. He was like a Jacob to me. We spent alot of time together and became very close.

I was with Shane, everyone else, including Anya and Jason, were gone for reasons I didn't know. They just suddenly stood up, told Shane to protect me and took off.

"What was that about?" I asked, looking at him. He shrugged.

"Sounds like trouble." He commented, poking at the fire.

"Yeah. But what kind of trouble?"

He glanced at me and smiled.

"I'm not sure Jamie. I know just about as much as you do."

I sighed and began to pout.

"They never tell me anything."

He laughed now. "Me either."

I looked at him again.

"I guess we're both in the dark then."

"As always." He said sitting back.

I noticed that all of them treated him differently. They never really told him anything, he seemed almost like an outcast.

"Why do they treat you like that?" I asked, not really meaning to. He looked at me after gazing at the fire for awhile.

"What do you mean?"

I bit my lip.

"It just seems like you're not really a part of this pack." I said quietly.

He didn't say anything. He just looked at me. The fire crackled softly. He looked away very suddenly.

"Can I tell you something, Jamie?" He asked in a whisper.

"Of course you can." I looked at him even though he didn't look at me.

"I don't want you to think of me differently." His voice was suddenly very small. His hazel eyes flickered to me for a moment, then away.

"I won't. Shane, whatever it is I'll understand."

He sighed deeply.

"I know that you know about the shapeshifters." He began. "And that this pack is a shapeshifter pack. But the thing is, I'm not a shapeshifter..."

"You're not?" I breathed. He shook his head. "Then what--"

"I'm probably the most dangerous creature you'll ever meet. I'm a werewolf. I'm extremely different from the shapeshifters and I don't just mean my appearance. Jason welcomed me into his pack, but we're way to different to actually get along. That's why I'm so quiet around them. And that's why they asked me to protect you--"

"Why?" I interrupted.

"I'm 10 times stronger and more dangerous then the vampires and shapeshifters put together." He shrugged. "I don't talk to them because surprisingly they're intimidated by me."

My eyes met his hazel ones and now the color difference made sense.

"But we're different from eachother. You're probably a hundred times stronger then me and we talk to eachother...." I informed him.