chapter 25: family

I reacted the same way as everyone else around me. My jaw dropped and eyes widened in the same shock as Jason had on his face. I had no idea that was even possible.

"Are you serious?" I gaped at him. He was once again speechless as he nodded very slowly.

"It's rare when a shapeshifter gets pregnant. The girls are usually told by an elder of their pack if they are able to have children or not. Anya was told she wasn't. It's a mistake that's never been made before." The female explained for him. "The signs are much different from humans. Worse even. It makes her seem like she's dying, when in fact she has life growing inside her." She shook her head. "Why it took this long for him to get her pregnant beats me..." She gave him a small, but whitty smile, trying to lighten the mood. Which mostly worked. It made a few of the pack members, Jake and Shane snicker.

"Can we see her?" I asked.

She nodded, stepping aside. I hesitanted a moment then walked past the still stunned Jason and went into the tent as Kale trailed behind me. Jason followed and so did Shane and Jake but the pack and the elders stayed behind.

Anya's eyes opened carefully, looking over at us. She smiled brightly. Her arms were drapped across her stomach.

"You heard?" She asked. Her eyes were slightly brighter. Jason moved cautiously around the bed, taking her hand. We nodded in unison. She laughed. "You all seem just as shocked as me."

We nodded in unison again.

"I'm just glad you're not dying." Jake was the first to speak. She smiled.

"Me too." She looked down at her stomach. "I had no idea this could ever happen to me, to us." She took the words right out of my mouth, probably out of the other's too. She looked up at Jason. "Do you need to sit down?" She asked concerned.

"No." He shook his head. "I'm fine. What about you? Do you need anything? Another pillow? Water? Food? Are you hungry?"

"Just breath, Jason. You're alright." She pulled him down to her. He landed on his knees and pressed his face into her neck, throwing his arms around her. "Nothing bad can come out of this." She comforted him, stroking his hair.

"How far along are you?" I asked, watching the opposite of what should have been happening. To be honest, I was trying not to laugh. He was a mess. She looked at me with a grin.

"Three months but he's growing fast. He should be out within the next two months."

First of all, I knew it happened differently then a human pregnancy but I was surprised just how fast it was and secondly, she wasn't even showing! Her tummy was flat as ever.

"He?" Shane asked. She nodded. "How do you know?"

"I just have this feeling it's going to be a boy."

Kale pulled me closer to him in the midst of all this talk. His body seemed like it was tense against mine.

"Let's just hope he doesn't turn out like Jason." Jacob teased. Jason finally chucled against Anya's neck. But he didn't say anything or even lift his head.

We stayed with her until she drifted off to sleep. She did so just as I asked what she was thinking about naming him. She shrugged once again;

"I'm not sure yet..."

We left her to rest. Jason kissed her softly then followed behind us.

"I'm terrified." He let out suddenly when we were a few feet away from the tent. All four of us turned to him.