chapter 15: returned

"What the hell were you thinking?! Didn't you hear me?!" He growled.

I was suddenly un-frozen, frowning. Was he really yelling at me?

"What else was I supposed to do?!" I snapped, furious that this was his greeting after over five months!

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe, wait for me!" He spat.

"Wait for you?! I have been waiting for you! I keep waiting for you! But you keep leaving me!" I let out, beyond furious at this point.

We glowered at eachother for a moment. Then he shut his eyes. His whole body was tense as he put his face in his hands. I stared at him, the anger instantly fading. I was glad, once again, to just have him here, even if we were yelling at eachother.

He relaxed and finally dropped his hands, looking at me. He was much less angry but more hurt. I let out an involuntary groan. I never wanted to see him hurt again. It was exactly what I was trying to prevent.

"Why did you agree? Didn't you pay attention to anything in that dream?" He asked quietly. I looked at him shocked.

"How do you know about my dream?" I couldn't help but gasp. Was this another dream? He waited a moment, then answered.

"Those were my dreams." He whispered.

"What?" I breathed out, confused.

"When men would pass you on the streets when you were living in your human world, the way they looked at you, it really pissed me off. I became jealous. You might not have noticed, but we don't really sleep. We don't even have to but sometimes it's nice to just, you know, dream, I guess you could call it. Usually we pretend we're asleep, like with you--"

I interrupted him, still confused.

"So all this time all of you have only been pretending to sleep?" I wanted to glance over at Shane, to see if he knew about that, but I wouldn't allow myself to look away from Kale.

"I didn't want things to be even weirder for you." He continued. "So, one of the nights after I say you getting eyed, I had a dream. I later found out that you were having the same dream, just by the things you said in your sleep. I tried not to have that dream, seeing it hurt you. I was hoping that you only had the dream when I did.

But I guess since it bothered you so much, you just kept having the dream on your own. Recently, I suspected Dante would somehow get to you and trick you. It was just a bad feeling I had. So I figured in case it happened, I would send you another dream. A warning that I hoped you would figure out. But I guess you only assumed it was just a dream." He finished, seeming to almost talk to himself near the end of his explaination.

That was alot to take in. He didn't really sleep but he could dream, and he could send me his dreams. He could talk to me through them. And then;

"Why didn't you come back with Jacob and Shane?" I asked angrily. He frowned.

"Why did you let him trick you?" He asked, using the same tone I used.

"I asked you first." I glowered at him. He shook his head.

"No, I did." He glowered back. I was about to argue when Shane interrupted timidly.

"He actually did ask you first, Jamie. Right before he told you about the dream...." His voice trailed off.

"I was trying to protect you." I finally spat between my teeth. He rolled his eyes.

"I should have known." He muttered. Then his eyes met mine. "And I was protecting you."