•zero - r.m.•

"Riley Matthews?" The teacher's voice rang through the room, startling a certain brunette girl out of her thoughts.

"Here." She groaned, rubbing her temples and trudging her way to the front of the classroom, where the teacher handed her a packet and the syllabus.

"Don't. Lose. It." She reminded the tall girl sharply, then rolled her eyes as Riley made her way to her seat, where she dropped the papers into her canvas knapsack that sat beside her on the cool tile floor.

The teacher continued on down the seemingly never-ending list of names. Riley floated back to her thoughts, worry crossing her mind briefly as she heard the teacher mention college.

Crap, she thought bitterly, last year of high school, and only six months until they'll expect me to start applying to colleges.

With very little money and no job, the last thing Riley Matthews wanted to worry about was paying for college. That left no choice. She'd have to get a job.

The class droned on, boring Riley nearly half to death with the useless things she wouldn't much use in her first few weeks here. Rules, restrictions, and homework expectations. Not very helpful to Riley, the girl who you'd be more likely to find at a college frat party than at home studying. Things had changed for the worst, and her situation with her parents didn't help either.

Finally, the bell rang, thankfully for Riley, who was near to murdering the guy next to her. He was a little too egotistical for her taste, and pretty much thought she'd be lucky to have him. Riley, however, had other plans.

Making her way out of the classroom carefully, she turned to face the jerk who had been sitting next to her. He was now trying to grasp onto her hips, failing miserably when she swung around, bringing her knee up firmly to meet his groin.

He buckled over in pain, leaving a now satisfied Riley to bolt through the packed hallways, aiming for her next classroom. People roiled through the crowded corridors, slipping under and around the masses of frantic teens. The most fortunate of them managed to squeeze in between most of them, while others fell to the floor, trying to avoid the feet of those around them.

Riley scanned her eyes over the room numbers, finally locking on one specific number, the one she was looking for. 247.

The first thing that grabbed Riley's attention was the corner of the room, completely vacant except for a single chair, which was occupied by the school's genius, Farkle Minkus. The second was the most popular(and athletic) guy in school, Lucas Friar. On his face was plastered his ever-present smirk, accompanied by an amused expression and eyes that crinkled ever so slightly when he smiled.

Riley avoided both of their eyes as she tripped over her feet to a seat in the back of the classroom. Lucas turned, facing her and smiled gently. Riley looked away and turned to face the front of the classroom.

"Alright class, senior year. You've known all these rules your entire life, there's no reason I should have to remind you of them again. So here's the syllabus, I don't really care if you return it or not. Just try not to get in too much trouble, alright?" Lucas looked ahead much too smugly, glancing around at his other friends occasionally.

"Now, assigned seats." The teacher announced, earning grumbles from more than half the class as he clapped his hands together and held them there. "I've given you enough freedom for now. I can already see this one getting some ideas about how his year is gonna go." He commented, gesturing to Lucas with a knowing look on his face.

He pointed to several seats around the room as he shouted out names, and each of the young adults managed to get to their appropriate seat within a small amount of time. Farkle's name was the last called, and the teacher looked at him curiously.

"Mr. Minkus. I see. Well, you may stay there so long as Ms. Matthews isn't too perturbed. Ms. Matthews?" He directed his attention towards the thin brunette.

"I-I'm-That's fine, I suppose." She responded with a certain manner of aloofness.

The teacher nodded, and the class began. Not a single soul spoke, afraid to break their fragile freedom. The teacher, Mr. Wright, as they had learned later, was perfectly satisfied with that.

By the bell, everyone was out the door, and Riley took a deep breath, letting it out again. She sighed in relief as she spotted a familiar face come into view.

"Maya, finally. What took you so long? I haven't seen you all day." The blonde rolled her eyes.

"It was two periods, Riles. Calm down. I'm sure you did fine. How was Mr. All-Star back there?" She questioned, nodding towards the classroom Riley had just left.

"He was...nice, I guess. He wasn't particularly talkative, honestly." She smiled reassuringly when Maya looked woried, and started walking towards their third class, which they had together.

"It's alright, Honey. He'll warm up to you, and you'll talk all day!" Maya exclaimed, pure evil etched across her face. Riley rolled her eyes, pulling Maya into the sanctuary of their new classroom.

How right she had been.

NEW BOOK!!!!!
Guys seriously I love you all so much. I've had so much fun with writing and I'm so glad I started in the first place.
You guys really make this whole thing super terrific and I love your support.
Please comment and vote but seriously comment tons cuz I LOVE hearing your thoughts on it.
Thanks again,
ALLI<3