•six - r.m.•

The nights grew longer as Riley lost sleep thinking about her parents. The relationship was not going very well, and Riley was worried. She had always known that he parents loved each other, but she wasn't so sure anymore.

Then came a night a few days before graduation. She heard arguments, louder than before. She listened to regretful words and hurtful sentences.

Then the defining sentence that'd change her life forever.

"CORY MATTHEWS, I'M DIVORCING YOU. THIS MARRIAGE IS OVER." Her mothers defensive tone rang through the walls that now seemed thin as paper.

That was when Riley's world fell apart.

* * *

The next morning came much too quickly for the amount of time Riley just wanted to hide under the thin sheets. The sun shine way too brightly into the room full of vibrant purples. The morning was not for Riley Matthews. The sun should have been cowering behind clouds of deep greys while rain cried its way through the melodramatic skies.

And, as no one had expected, Riley Matthews changed. Dark purple t-shirt, black shorts, black Converse. Hair down, nearly in front of her eyes, and black nail polish. She knew it was probably a little much, but she was sick of the world against her. She would show them.

The sickly yellow school bus pulled to a stop in front of Abigail Adams High School just as Riley was about to get off and walk the rest of the way. She tugged on her silver charm bracelet nervously as she trudged into the pale, dreary hallways. Every wall seemed to close in on her as she got nearer to the classroom she was going for.

Then a certain Lucas Friar blocked her determined path. She sighed heavily as he wrapped his arms tentatively around her. She was relieved, to say the least. Right now she was hurting, and all she needed was a hug. The comforting touch of another person was all she had really wanted since her father walked out the door this morning, never to come back.

"Lucas," she sobbed."he's gone." Lucas had been rubbing her back calmly; now he froze in place.

"Who, Riles?" He asked, but she just shook her head and burrowed further into his arms.

"Lucas, my dad–he, he left this morning."

"Well, of course, Riley, he had to come to work." But she looked up into his eyes with her own tear strewn ones.

"N-No." She stammered nervously. "My mom–she gave him the ring back. She told him to get out. This morning, he packed up all his stuff, and left. He's not coming back, Lucas. I'm scared." She was shaking slightly, and Lucas held onto her tightly, to try and get her to stop vibrating.

Riley finally relaxed, and he smiled at her. "See, Riley? It's gonna be just fine. You'll be okay, Babe." She shivered at the pet name, and removed her arms from around him. She caressed his face in her hands, then kissed his lips with urgency. He moaned, kissing her back with just as much force.

"I love you, Friar." Riley mumbled against his lips as he gripped her waist with a newfound strength and adrenaline. "I want you so bad." She mentioned, and he grinned against the kiss.

Riley nuzzled her head under his chin, and he ran his fingers through her long brown locks lovingly. "Why are you so very attractive to me, Riley Matthews? You're killing me." His voice was low and husky, making Riley giggle shortly. "I want you too," he finished. "Bad." His voice grew seductive at the end of his sentence, and Riley stiffened. This boy was giving her feelings she'd never felt.

She kissed him again, teasing him, and skipped off to class. He muttered a curse and followed after her, laughing slowly and moving his hand through his hair.

The first bell rang, and Riley was right beside Lucas. Every once in a while, she'd give him a teasing look or inch her shorts a little farther up her leg. He knew it was wrong how he was thinking about her, but he was so distracted by this gorgeous girl. Mr. Matthews, well, let's just say it's a good thing he had taken the day off.

Riley didn't know how she felt about Lucas. Sure, she loved him, but was she ready to take the next step with him?It seemed like that was all he wanted now, to have sex with her. She felt slightly used. She didn't want to give him the wrong idea, but she didn't want to give her innocence away yet. She wanted to wait, at least until she was married.

And that was that.

                             *  *  *

She got home and set her backpack on the counter, heading into the kitchen for something to eat. She grabbed an apple and made her way back to her room. She pulled out her phone, searching for job opportunities, and one in particular caught her eyes. It was an offer for a job at the town carnival, a brightly coloured ad advertising pink and blue cotton candy, a carousel, and a Ferris wheel.

JOB OFFER FOR HIGH SCHOOL SOPHOMORES - COLLEGE SENIORS:

$20 AN HOUR TO WORK THE STANDS AND HELP WITH RIDES. OTHER HELP MAY BE NEEDED.

JOB EXTENDS FROM MAY 25 - AUGUST 9. HOURS ARE 9 AM TO 11 PM EVERY OTHER NIGHT.

APPLY BELOW OR AT CARNIVAL OFFICE.

APPLICATION:
Name: Riley Matthews
Gender: Female
Age: High School Senior.
Skills: Mechanical Knowledge, Babysitting, Cooking, and Money Management.
Current Occupation: None
Planned College(H.S. Seniors only): Princeton
Reason Why You Want the Job: Makes good pay to finally get into an Ivy League school and make my mum proud. I also love working with children and I have been told I can make a pretty good balloon puppy or cotton candy. Running rides shouldn't be too hard, and I am open to anything.
Drivers License Expiration Date: April 30th, 2021
Credit Card # (Optional):

Riley Matthews

She was finally going to get a job. Or one at least. On the nights she didn't have carnival duty, she would have to be getting another job to keep up with college expenses. Something like...A Daycare Center!

Things were finally coming together. And that's when they somehow got worse.

"Babe," Lucas called over the phone one night. "We need to talk."

LOL GUYS NOT SORRY FOR THAT CLIFFHANGER. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK SO FAR BELOW, AND I WILL
UPDATE ONCE I REACH 10 VOTES ON THIS CHAPTER.

THANKS LOVELIES!
Alli<3