CHAPTER 38

Hanna straightened her back and stared at him. "So you knew I was at the cabin? You just said you found us in town?" she asked. Alarm flashed through his eyes, she could sense him tensing, fear spouting off him, mixing in the air with the smell of his cigarettes. She could see his heart racing as the pulse in his neck throbbed wildly. She watched him, relishing in her newfound abilities, as she waited for answers. Anger and impatience started thumping through her veins, frowning just about to ask him where Max was, when a soft voice entered her mind "Don't my sweet, he will not hesitate to kill you if he thought you had figured it out, play along". Tears shot to Hanna's eyes as she heard his low rough voice, he was alive. Her hand instinctively moved to her mark.

"Max, where are you, please... please don't leave me...", she replied in her mind as a tear rolled over her cheek. Hanna heard him again "Be still, my love. I am alive, and in some kind of dungeon. I love you, my Hanna. I will find you. Be safe until then" he begged and promised. Hanna felt Grant's hand on her shoulder, surprised she hadn't heard him move closer. She shuttered in disgust and listened to his elaborate lies.

"Don't cry. There is no need to be so emotional my dear. You see the horrible man confessed the entire way to the police station, he confessed everything. Oh, my dear you look pale, you must go rest now." James pulled her up by the arms "The Pastor will be here at six tomorrow evening for our ceremony. Your Mother, who, I might add is dying to see you, will bring everything you need just before then." Hanna looked at him faking sadness, thankfulness, and eagerness as he continued, "You do not have to worry about anything, my dear. I have arranged it all. Now I need you to rest, I need you better, I need a strong Lady James Grant" Grant said walking to the door, ushering her out, into the arms of one of the maids.

Hanna was dumbstruck, she could barely breathe, frozen in the study doorway. Was he really continuing with the wedding after all that has happened? "Max, please Max, what should I do?" she willed him to answer her. "Max, please, I'll tell him that we are already married. That will delay his plans" Hanna begged pleading for a reply from Max.

"James ... I can't marry you..." Grant, who had been turning to close the door, waiting for her to leave, jolted his head upright staring at her.

"Pray tell me why...would you not," he said, anger written all over his face, which He quickly masked with concern. Hanna couldn't help but applaud him silently for his outstanding performance.

"Because I'm already married, James ... To Max Kahli."