Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I turned the silver handle to the door and swung it open. Chloe and I walked inside the classroom, and immediately made our way to the free seats by the windows. I chose the seat furthest back, wanting to be as far away from him as I could. I didn't know why, but I felt the need to avoid him at all costs.

Student after student filed into the classroom, finding an empty seat next to their friends. The bell rang, and a moment later, the teacher walked into the room. The door shut as he walked to the front of the classroom. He clapped his hands together and smiled at us.

"Welcome to English 4 honors, seniors," he said in a deep, but sweet, voice. "I'm Mr. Taylor."

The class stayed silent as she grabbed a notepad off of his desk and flipped through a couple of pages. I looked around at a few of the students. Most of the girls wouldn't take their eyes off of Mr. Taylor, causing me to scowl. I rolled my eyes, crossed my arms, and stared out of the window.

Get a life, girls, I thought. He's probably happily married with children. You don't stand a chance.

I continued to stare out of the window when he started to call out the names of my classmates for attendance. All of the girls who answered him when he called out their names had either sweetness or seductiveness in their voices. I, however, did not. When he called out my name, I simply gave him a blunt, "Here," without even looking at him.

"Alright," he concluded. "Roll-call is done. Now let's get to know each other a little bit."

He pulled up the stool from behind him and sat down on it. "Let's start with... Avery Winters."

I widened my eyes a bit and looked over at him. He was looking at me with calm eyes, but I felt everyone else's gazed burning into me as well. "What?"

"Tell us about yourself," he prompted.

"Uh," I muttered. What exactly was I supposed to say? But more importantly, why'd he pick me to go first? "I don't know what I'm supposed to say."

Some of the class giggled, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"Well, what do you like?" he asked.

I thought for a minute. "Sleeping," I finally said, smirking. "I like sleeping."

More of my classmates giggled, but this time it wasn't at me. Mr. Taylor smiled with them. "Well, yes, we all like sleeping. What I meant was what do you like to do in your free time?"

I was starting to think he wasn't going to leave me alone until I gave him a real answer. Giving in, I finally said, "I like soccer."

He nodded, considering my answer. "Soccer is a good sport. Good way to stay in shape. Alright, what about your age? Where are you originally from? Do you have siblings?"

I was officially thrown off. What was with this guy? Why all of the personal answers all of a sudden? "Uh, what?"

"Come on, Ms. Winters. Tell the class about yourself," he pressed on gently.

I let out a frustrated sigh and muttered a blunt, "Fine."

I sat up in my seat and faced him again. "I'm seventeen, originally from New York, and I only have one sibling." I felt uncomfortable about telling the whole class some of that personal information, but I had a feeling Mr. Taylor would just keep asking questions. Taking the risk, I decided to ask him something for once. "And you, Mr. Taylor?"

I heard a few gasps at the sternness of my voice, but I didn't care. If he was going to get personal with me, I would fight fire with fire.

"Excuse me?" he asked me, looking a little thrown off guard.

"Oh, you know. I'm sure the class would like to hear some stuff about you, don't you think?" I asked him, smirking. "What's your age, Mr. Taylor? What do you like to do in your free time? Any siblings?"

He looked back at me calmly. "I'd be happy to answer all of those," he said. "I'm twenty-five, I like to write, and yes, I have one brother."

He smiled at me, but I glared back. "Great, now we know each other," I muttered. "Happy?"

"Yes, I am, actually," he replied. "But I'm going to need you to stay after class."

I snapped my head back up and looked at him, disbelief showing in my face. "Why?"

"Okay, let's go to... Mr. Garret next," Mr. Taylor said, ignoring my question. I crossed my arms once more and snorted. Anger was burning through my body, and I'm sure everyone could tell. I tuned them out and stared out of the window, looking out into the skyline of the city. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chloe slip something onto my desk from in front of me. I grabbed it and folded it open.

You okay?

I sighed and picked up my pencil.

I don't like this class.

I slipped it back to her, then waited a minute.

I can tell. What's wrong?

I sighed once more.

He's getting too personal.

I slipped it back to her again.

"And next is... Ms. Huntt?"

I saw Chloe stiffen from in front of me and hid the note we were passing back and forth under her binder.

"Yes?" she said.

"Tell us about yourself."

Chloe sat up. "My name's Chloe, I'm seventeen, I'm originally from Georgia, and uh... I don't have any siblings."

"Very good," he said. The class jumped as the chimes of the bell rang throughout the classroom. Most people were up and out by the time Mr. Taylor had realized class was over. I, however, had to stay where I was. I stared at Chloe as she gathered her things and gave me a sympathetic look. She walked out of the classroom, waving at Mr. Taylor as she passed. I turned back towards the window,  staring calmly out of it. The door clicked shut, and I suddenly didn't feel so safe.

"Ms. Winters?"

My spine prickled at the sound of his voice saying my last name. I looked at him. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry if I got too personal today," he said, coming up to my desk. His hands were in my pockets and he was staring down at me.

"It's okay?" I said, confused. How'd he know he'd gotten too personal? I stared up at him. "Is that it? I have to get to my next class."

Something flickered in his eyes, but I couldn't quite tell what it was. He sighed. "Yes, that's all. But I expect a better attitude when you're in my class," he informed me.

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes, I smiled faintly up at him. "Yes, sir."

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow then, Ms. Winters."

I quickly grabbed my backpack and walked to the door of the classroom. I reached for the door handle, but stopped and turned around. "Sorry," I mumbled to him. Without another word, I walked out of the classroom.