Chapter 22

Chapter 22
The next few weeks were normal. Well, as normal as you would hope for them to be after finding out your best friend might be pregnant. I urged her to tell her mom, but she refused to even think about it. She finally told Daniel, and being the knight in shining armor she's claimed him to be, he vowed to stay with her through it. I thought it was sweet, but if Chloe was pregnant, everything would soon change for them- and for almost everyone.

Elliott and I decided to keep everything low profile, which meant no more meeting at the diner. I hated it, not spending time with him, and had to fight to keep myself from kissing him in the middle of class, and I knew he had similar feelings. But I learned to get used to it.

Josh, however, was in the opposite position as me. He, being the brave soul he is, asked his crush of two years out and has a date. One of which Chloe and I were helping him with. And much to my dismay, I was their 'chauffeur' for the day.

"No," Chloe and I said in unison, grimacing at what clothes Josh had picked out for the evening.

"Why not?" he protested.

"Because  red sneakers don't go with Hawaiian t-shirts with blue palm trees covering it," Chloe scoffed. I laughed, and Josh retreated back into his closet, putting out a light blue polo and khaki shorts.

"No," we said in unison again.

"What's wrong with this?!" he exclaimed.

"Bright red and black shoes and a light blue shirt don't mix, genius!" I retorted. I finally stood up off his bed and walked over to his closet.

"Then what am I supposed to wear, Oh Wise One?" he said in a sarcastic tone. I brushed it off, rummaging  through his dresser and hangers, trying to find something presentable for him.

"Ah-hah!" I pulled out a pair of faded blue-jeans and a white button-up shirt. At the floor of his closet were white sneakers. I picked those up as well and shoved them against his chest. "Put these on."

He gazed down at the outfit bundled in his arms. Shrugging, he walked back into his bathroom. I sat back down next to Chloe on his bed and waited.

"Any news from Dr. Martinez?" I asked in a low voice.

"No," she replied.

And I left it at that. I knew she wouldn't want to talk about it.

Josh reemerged from the bathroom, and I actually clapped. He looked great, despite the mess of hair on top of his head.

"Wow! You look great!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Thanks," he said.

"Now, for your hair," Chloe said, narrowing her eyes. Josh took a step back, unsure. But Chloe, using her charm, got him to sit down as she did his hair. She combed it out, blow-dried it- after a few protests from Josh, not thinking it was 'manly' to use a blow drier- and messed it up with some hair gel. And I had to admit, he didn't look half-bad. It was the best I've seen him look, since, well, ever. He was always in something sporty, always running around. This was quite a change for him.

"Done!" Chloe stepped back, smiling proudly at Josh. "You're ready!"

"Good, because if we don't leave now, you're going to be late, Josh."

"Crap!" he shouted. He grabbed his phone and wallet off of his desk and ran out the door. I looked at Chloe and rolled my eyes, then followed after him quickly.

"Do you want to come with me?" I asked when she followed me.

"Yeah. Daniel has practice tonight, so I'm free. And I don't want to go home."