Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I woke up, squinting my eyes against the bright sunlight flooding in through the windows. Blinking, I looked around at my surroundings, wondering where I was. Then I remembered. I had spent the night with Elliott.

"Elliott?" I whispered, rubbing my eyes and sitting up. The scent of bacon wafted past my nose, causing my mouth to water. I looked through the archway across from me, and a moment later, Elliott appeared, carrying two plates.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," he said. I looked up at him and smiled, then tucked my legs underneath me.

"Sorry for falling asleep on you," I said regretfully. I really wanted to stay awake with him, but failed terribly.

"It's okay," he said, setting a plate down in front of me. On it was scrambled eggs and three strips of bacon. I licked my lips and picked up the plate, then set it on my lap. "Besides, you're cute when you sleep. Especially when you snore."

A flash of horror ran through me. "I was snoring?"

"Not loudly. Only a little," he said, hiding a laugh. I didn't push it any further. Instead, I took a piece of bacon and bit off half of it, then chewed.

"Oh my god," I said with a mouthful of bacon. "This is delicious."

"I figured you would like it," she said, a hint of pride in his voice.

We continued to eat in silence, and I shifted next to him uncomfortably. "Thanks for letting me stay over," I whispered, resting my head on his shoulder.

He kissed the top of my head, pulling me closer. "I'm glad you did."

There was a knock at the door, and we both looked down the hallway. Well, it was more of a pound than a knock. Elliott stiffened beside me. He dropped his bacon on the plate and abruptly stood up.

"Who is it?" he said loudly.

"Who do you think?" My body froze when I realized it was a woman's voice. She sounded young, maybe a few years older than me. I gazed at Elliott.

"Who's that?" I whispered.

"Shit," he said under his breath. He grabbed both plates from the coffee table and rushed into the kitchen. I heard him set the plates down and appear into the living room a moment later. He motioned me over to him, so I got up quickly and stood in front of him.

"Elliott?" the female voice called. "Are you okay?"

"Just a second!" he replied. He turned to me, lowering his voice. "Avery, you have to hide. I'll explain later but for right now, you can't let her see you."

"Who is she?" I demanded, being sure to keep my voice low. I felt the tears prickle in my eyes, but I blinked them back, determined not to cry.

"I'll explain later, just get in the closet," he pleaded. Without another word, I turned away from him and opened the hallway closet, stepped inside the dark, tiny space, then closed the door behind me. I lowered myself onto the ground, sat on the carpet slowly, and pulled my knees to my chest, listening carefully.

"It'll be okay," he whispered into the cracks in the door. I rested my chin on my arms and waited. Light flooded into the cracks on the closet door when he opened the front door. The sound of heels on tile echoed throughout the hallway as the woman entered his house.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, closing the door. The light dimmed, but I could still just barely see both of them through the tiny slits. The woman had long, blonde curly hair and a slim figure. She was wearing a short pencil skirt and a white blouse, complete with the black vest. She looked like she should be a secretary in an office in New York, answering phone calls and setting up important meetings for her higher-ups. But sadly, that wasn't the case.