Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I walked into the classroom, immediately feeling his gaze on me. I glanced back at him and gave him a small smile, but didn't acknowledge him any more than that. The bell rang and I hurried to my seat. Mr. Taylor got up from his stool at the front of the class and his gaze swept through the entire classroom. He smiled.

"Time for presentations!" he announced. Everyone groaned. Presentations were the worst part of any class project. Would someone mess up? Would someone refuse to actually get up in front of the class? Would someone actually like it? But the real question was who would go first? They were always the icebreaker of every project. No matter where you were.

His gazed swept to me and Chloe. "Avery," he said. My skin prickled with anticipation as he said my name. "Chloe. Why don't you two go first? You had a very interesting subject."

I sighed, frustrated. Did he really just do this to me? Even after yesterday? Not in the mood to argue, I got up and walked with Chloe to the front of the classroom. I walked past him and accidently brushed my arm against his. Tension built up inside me, but I pushed it aside. I didn't look at him or speak to him. He did the same, walking to his desk and leaning against the edge. Looking skeptical, he crossed his arms and waited for us to begin.

"Our topic was whether or not sex education should be taught in schools. Most people disagree with it, but we, however, do," Chloe said. Her voice shook nervously, so I took over.

"We believe sex education should be taught to teens in high school, for at least half a year, and have it as a class that is required for graduation," I said. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. Taylor grinning. My face grew warm, but I ignored it and continued. "Sex education should be required because it teaches teens, like us, what sex is really about, and how to be safe if we ever chose to have it before marriage."

"So your saying it's okay for teens to have sex?" a kid from the crowd blurted out. I resisted the urge to groan and kept a calm face. I was afraid this was going to happen.

"No, we're not saying that it's the wisest decision. We're saying that if teens ever decide to have sex, that they will be prepared and know what to do when the time comes," I answered.

"Very interesting," Mr. Taylor chimed in. "Do you believe that teens should be abstinent?"

I fought back a glare towards him. "Well-"

I was interrupted by a loud crashing sound. We all turned to look at the door to see someone in the doorway, leaning against it, holding it for support. I gasped, realizing it was Hunter. He stumbled into the room, walking towards me. I took a step back, but he grabbed onto my arms and squeezed. I noticed that his eyes were dilated and his breath reeked of alcohol. "Hunter? What are you doing in here?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"Avery," he slurred. He paused a minute, taking a deep breath. I wanted to gag, but resisted the urge. Mr. Taylor was up, but keeping his distance, almost as if he was curious to see what would happen. "Avery, I love you. I'm sorry for what I did. Please, please take me back!"

"Hunter-"

"Please, Avery! I'll do anything. I love you," he said, sounding as if he was about to cry.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Hunter, let me go." I was aware of all the watchful eyes on me. Why would Hunter do this? What the hell was going on with him? Did I mean that much to him that he started drinking?

"Not unless you take me back," he said with a rough voice. I pulled back, but he only squeezed harder. I cried out, trying to get away from him. Finally, Mr. Taylor stepped in.