Chapter 8

Chapter 8

By the time Monday came around, I planned to ignore Mr. Taylor completely. Was what he did even legal? Pay for my drink at a bar? I was going to go with no, despite the fact it was water. It was still weird, and made me feel undeniably uncomfortable.

I watched the clock behind Mr. Taylor on the wall, glaring at the ticking seconds' hand, waiting for the freedom I desired.

Five, four, three, two... I jammed my notebook into my bag at the sound of the loud bell, dismissing classes. Almost everyone was up and out by the time I got my backpack zipped up. Not wanting to be alone in the room, I quickly made my way for the door.

"Ms. Winters?"

I froze. My hand was reaching out towards the silver handle on the door, but I could find myself to move one inch as soon as I heard his voice call my name. Holding my breath, I turned. "Yes?"

"I wanted to speak with you," he said from where he was sitting at his desk.

I gulped and stepped forward slightly. "About?"

"I have the feeling I made you feel uncomfortable yesterday morning," he said, leaning back in his chair.

I stayed silent, but stared into his eyes. How did he know he made me uncomfortable? Could he read my mind or something? Or did he just... know?

"I'll take that as a yes," he answered for me. He got up from his seat and stepped towards me. I took a step back, not sure if I should leave the classroom or hear what he had to say. Taking the risk, I chose to stay.

"Is it that obvious?" I prompted, trying to act like he hadn't affected me.

He chuckled in his deep, sweet voice. "Listen, Avery." My heart stuttered as he said my name. "I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

"Then what?" I interrupted.

"I want to get to know you. You're a very interesting person, and-"

"I have to go," I said, cutting him off. Without another word, I turned around and turned the handle, then pushed the door open. Before I was out of earshot, I heard him sigh, obviously disappointed. I rounded a corner, but came into contact with something hard before I could dodge it.

"Dammit," I muttered. I looked up as I stepped back. "Sorry."

"Avery?" I knew that voice. I stepped back once more to get a better look at the stranger.

"Hunter?" I asked.

"Hey," he said. Narrowing his eyes, he said, "Avery, are you okay?"

I hadn't realized it until then that there were tears forming at the edges of my eyes. Quickly wiping them away with my sleeve, I smiled up at him. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He looked doubtful, but moved on with the conversation. "Are you free tonight?" he said suddenly.

I looked up at him, gaping a little with wide eyes. I knew I probably looked stupid, but for Hunter to ask that? It just didn't happen. "Tonight?" I asked, still surprised.

He ran his fingers through his hair and lightly blushed, obviously nervous. "Yeah, tonight."

Slowly, I nodded. "Yeah, why?" I mentally slapped myself. I knew what he was hinting at, and now I just looked stupid because I asked why.

He smiled a little. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out," he said. "With me. Tonight."

And there it was. The official 'getting asked out on a date by your friend'.  Honestly, I didn't know if it would be awkward or not. I mean... we were friends, nothing more... right? But what would it hurt to have a nice time with him, right?