Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I rested my shaky hand on the wooden door handle and pushed the door open. Elliott's back was turned to me, and I let out a shaky sigh, stepping towards him. He didn't turn around as I slid into the seat beside him, something I've done many times before.

"Hello Avery," he said, sliding his hand over my thigh. I smiled and leaned against him, intertwining my fingers with his.

"Hi," I replied, kissing his cheek.

"So, was there a reason you wanted to meet at the diner with me?" he asked, playing with my thumb.

I gulped, trying to find my voice. "Yeah. I need to tell you something."

He stopped playing with my thumb and his gaze snapped to mine. "You're not pregnant are you?" he asked, voice full of seriousness.

I held back a laugh. "No, I'm not pregnant."

His face relaxed, but left his gaze on me. "What is it?"

"I, um," I stuttered. "I got a last minute Christmas present from my parents."

"Oh really?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. "What is it?"

"Well, ever since last summer I've wanted to go on a school college trip. My parents decided to pay for it, while they got my brother a trip to Brazil for a soccer tournament," I explained.

Elliott smiled whole-heartedly. "Really? They're paying for a college trip? Where is it?"

I looked away from him. "It's in Italy."

He stiffened beside me. "Italy?"

I nodded, evading his watchful eyes. "Yeah."

"For how long?"

"A year."

He wrapped an arm around me. "Why didn't you call me and tell me, Avery? I'm so happy for you."

My head snapped up to look at him. "You are?"

His smile was heartbreaking. "Of course I am. You're following your dream, getting to go places many dream about but only few get to go to. How could I not be happy for you?"

"I thought you'd be upset I was leaving," I admitted.

"Well," he said. "I'm not going to hide the fact that I'll miss you more than you know. But as long as you're happy, then I'm happy, Avery." He kissed the side of my head and pulled me closer.

"So you're going to miss me?" I whispered.

"Of course I will. Every second you're gone."

I wrapped my arms around his waist. "I'll miss you, too." Tears welled up and began to fall onto his shirt. He lifted my head with his finger and kissed me lightly.

"Hey now," he chuckled. "Don't cry. You aren't leaving yet, right?"

I wiped the tears with my sleeve and shook my head. "Not until mid-July."

"See? We still have more than half a year together. Plus spending the fourth of July together. We'll make the best of it, okay?" he said reassuringly.

I nodded, hugging his arm. "Promise?"

He kissed the top of my head. "I promise," he said. "Oh, and I have some good news as well."

I looked up at him. "Which is?"

"I'm going to be a teacher again," he said proudly.

"Really? Where?"

"I'll be teaching at Ohio State University."