Chapter 24

Chapter 24

My eyes fluttered open, seeing the face of Elliott gazing down at me. I smiled and he smiled back. I was in his arms, warm and comfortable under the covers with him.

"Happy birthday," he said.

"Thanks..." I replied, yawning. Wait, did he just say... Oh crap.

My eyes widened and I sprung up from the bed, leaving the comfort of his arms. "Shit!"

He was up, by my side in seconds. "What? What's wrong Avery?"

"What time is it?" I asked quickly. He looked around his room, then turned back to me.

"Nine fifteen, why?" He sounded worried, but that was the least of my worries.

"My mom said to be home for birthday breakfast," I sighed, falling back down on the comfortable bed. "She's going to kill me."

"Well then we have to get you home," he said regretfully. "Which sucks, because I had something else for you."

I looked up at him. A coy smile was showing across his face. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "Elliott, you didn't have to get me anything in the first place. Two things is going a little over, don't you think?"

"It's not a gift," he explained. I resisted sighing with relief. The locket he had given to me meant the world to me, and I didn't want him to think that I only wanted gifts from him. If that's the way he thought it's the only way he can show his love to me, he was wrong.

"Then what is it?" I asked.

"I was going to make you breakfast," he said, giving me his famous half-smile.

"Oh yeah?" I felt bad all of a sudden. Birthday breakfasts were an essential thing in my family. My mom started the tradition a few years back, so instead of having birthday dinners we had birthday breakfasts.

"Yeah, but since you already have breakfast with your family, how about I make it lunch? Or dinner?" he suggested.

"Lunch," I answered. "Chloe said she had something to show me tonight." Which I partly didn't mind. I would've loved to have dinner with Elliott, but I couldn't ditch Chloe for him. She was my best friend.

"The lunch it is. Would you like to order out? I can't really cook anything but eggs, bacon, and pasta," he said.

"Sure," I laughed. "Chinese?"

"I love Chinese, so yes, Chinese it is."

I got up from the bed and looked around for my shirt. Well, technically it was Elliott's shirt. At some point in the night, he took of my shirt and I took off his. I stood there, like an idiot, in my bra, looking for a shirt. Elliott chuckled, but before I could throw anything at him, he'd gone into the bathroom. I finally found my shirt and slipped it on, then put on my jeans.

"Are you taking me home?" I called to him.

"Of course. Unless you're walking ten miles to your house," he called back. "You'll never make it to breakfast if you do that."

I smiled and brushed through my hair with my fingers. When it didn't look any better, I finally just put it up into a bun. Elliott came out of the bathroom in a red t-shirt and jeans. His hair was still a mess, but honestly, liked it like that. It looked good on him.

"Ready to go?" he asked. I nodded and we walked down stairs. He locked the front door after we stepped outside, then got in the car and drove in the direction of my house.

~

"Happy birthday!"

I jumped and spun around, shutting the door behind me. My mom, dad, and Josh all stood in the doorway of the kitchen, smiling at me. I smiled sheepishly, not really liking the attention. My birthday was fun, I'll admit that, but sometimes I hated all of the attention that came with it. "Thanks, guys."