Chapter Ten

Treat You Better
Chapter Ten

"Mia," I say as I enter her room. "What do you mean by that?"

"Mean by what?" I give her a look, as if saying that she knows what I'm talking about. "Oh, when I said that I loved you, too?"

I nod my head and she rolls her eyes. I sit down next to her on her bed as she searches for a movie to watch. She puts another cookie into her mouth before turning to look at me.

"You said it a few nights ago, right?" My face grows red which confirms the question. "Yeah, I feel the same. I've always felt the same that you have for me, Shawn. It just took me too long to realize it."

I stare at her, my mouth wide open, as I try to figure out what was just said.

"To make it easy for you to comprehend, seeing as it's taking you long, I have feelings for you."

"What?"

"Shawn," she shakes her head. "I always knew you were slow, but I never knew you were this slow."

"It's taking me long to comprehend, Mia."

"Obviously or you still wouldn't be staring at me as if I'm some puzzle you can't figure out."

I laugh at the comment before she says, "I already know you feel the same way so please don't say it. I'll become red and we both know what happens after that."

"No, no, I'm going to say it; I feel the same way, my lovely best friend."

The second I say that, Mia's closet doors open and out comes Sydney. Her face is full of excitement, which isn't hard to tell, as she grins at us.

"Oh my god," she exclaims. "This is the best thing ever! I've been waiting for you guys to admit your feelings to each other for so long."

I mean me too, Syd, me too. Don't know why it's taken us this long myself.

"So what does this mean for you guys?" Sydney asks, turning around and grabbing a bag of popcorn from a pile of clothes.

I don't think I've ever related to Sydney as much as I do right now.

Mia and I look at each other before she says, "We take it one day at a time until I'm ready again."

"And I'd wait an eternity for you."

"Oh... my... god..." Sydney drags out. "That was the most cutest thing I've ever heard."

"I try," I joke with her.

She rolls her eyes before joining us on the bed, popcorn in hand. Mia chooses her personal favorite, High School Musical 2, to watch. I can't really complain, either, I kind of like the movie and this could make or break it.

[Made June 30, 2016 - Rewritten June 11, 2018]