Chapter Thirty-One

Treat You Better
Chapter Thirty-One
«Shawn Mendes»
"Josh, tell us again why you broke up with Sam?"

He turns and sighs. "It wasn't a choice that I wanted! My parents told me they didn't like her and to break up with her or they'll kick me out, and basically will disown me."

Mia and I gasp at the information. I knew that his parents were terrible, but I didn't think they'd be this bad to make him break up with Samantha. Josh leans back in the chair and sighs again.

"I really love her, more than life itself, but I don't want to get kicked out. I won't have anywhere to go."

"Joshua, my mom thinks of you like her son! She'd gladly let you live with us until you go off to uni." Josh looks at Mia and smiles.

"Mee, I love you." He hugs her before asking if it's okay.

"Joshua, pack your things, we can tell my mom when we get to the house." He thanks her as he begins to pack a small bag and write a note to his parents saying that, 'he's staying at a friend's house.'

He grabs his Nike bag and the three of us walk out of his house and to Mia's car. Mia and I get in the front with Josh sitting in the middle of the back seat. Mia drives down the streets as we listen to the radio. I see Mia's face light up as Treat You Better comes on.

"Mom, I'm home!" Mia calls out as we enter through the front door.

"In here!" We follow the sound of Mia's moms voice and find her in the living room with her husband and Sydney. "Josh, what a lovely surprise to see you here."

"Mom, dad, Josh and I want to ask you something." Her dad looks over at us and waits for his oldest daughter to go on. "Josh's parents practically kicked him out, and we were wondering if he could stay with us until he gets his own place."

They keep quiet and Mia goes on some more. "We have the room in the basement with nothing in there, so he could stay in there."

"I don't know, Mee." Mia gives her dad her famous puppy dog eyes, which always causes her to get her way, and he sighs.

"What happened for them to kick you out so suddenly?" Josh looks at Mia's mom.

"They told me to break up with Sam or to leave." She nods her head.

"I don't have a problem, since you'll be in the basement and everything you need will be down there." Mia's parents both agree and tell Josh their house rules before Josh hugs Mia's mom and she shows him to his room.

I wrap an arm around Mia as we walk outside and watch the sunset go down. I take my chances and say the most cliche sentence ever used. "The sunsets beautiful, but you're more beautiful. Gorgeous even."

[Made November 4, 2016]