Chapter Fourteen

Treat You Better
Chapter Fourteen

E! News comes on, talking about what they're going to talk about, as I lay my head on Mia's lap. I'm comfortable until my name is mentioned. I sit straight up and Mia turns the volume up.

"Shawn Mendes was seen around his home city with a familiar girl that we've seen in the previous years."

I give a quick glance at Mia, who's gaping at the television, before turning my attention back to the television myself.

"The girl seen hanging out with our pop star is none other than his best friend herself; Mia Williams. Shown here are photographs of the two together around the city." Pictures of us from the past week, as well as few months, pop up on the screen. "As you can see, the pair seem to be cozying up to each other, with Shawn even giving her a kiss on the forehead. Just a few months ago, he was seen with model Hailey Baldwin around NYC."

"Yeah," I say, rolling my eyes. "Almost a year ago."

They continue to show the various of pictures of Hailey and I, and Mia and I as well. I intertwine my fingers with Mia's as I go through the guide before changing the channel to Comedy Central. I become comfortable again as The Office plays on the television screen.

"I found a series on Netflix that we should binge," Mia says. "It's called Shameless."

"I think I've heard of that one," I reply and switch from cable to Netflix. "Is it the one with that girl from The Day After Tomorrow?"

"Yeah!" Mia exclaims as I search the name of the show. "That's the one."

"Mia, what have we gotten ourselves into?" I ask as the credits to the fourth episode roll.

"Well," she replies. "It's a good thing no one is home."

We both laugh as I press play for the fifth episode to play.

Well, this is better than watching E! News talk about us.

"Have to admit," I say. "This isn't as bad as I thought it would be when we watched the first episode, but it's pretty good."

"Oh, I know. It is pretty good. Plus, Carl gets hotter in the later seasons."

I give her a look before shoving her arm lightly. "Hello? Hot guy right here."

"Oh sorry, I don't see Ethan Cutkosky. Is he here?"

"Mia!" I punch her arm. "Not nice."

"I'm joking," she leans on my arm. "You're my favorite boy."

And next she does the unthinkable; her lips touch with mine, just like the way I've imagined.

[Made July 8, 2016 - Rewritten June 12, 2018]