Chapter Thirteen

Treat You Better
Chapter Thirteen

I've never been a fan of heartbreak, so tell me what you want. Take my hands across your body; we don't have to hold on. Oh no, we don't need to over-complicate it. 'Cause I've been here once before don't even say it.

My hands scribble down the words as I wait for Mia to get done with therapy. Just two more weeks of it and she doesn't have to come in anymore. She'd made enough progress and asked to no longer go.

'Cause I've living only for this moment, and I don't wanna let it slip away. i've been living only for this moment, and I don't know how much that I can take.

The moment I write the last few words, Mia walks out with her aunt beside her. I close the notebook as I stand up and meet them halfway. She thanks her aunt, gives her a hug, and then turns to me with a smile.

"Wanna get some ice cream, lover-boy?" Mia latches her arm with mine. "Either way, I'm not taking no for an answer so, let's go."

I shake my head at the girl next to me as she pulls me out of the building and down the streets. She starts to hum a song, and I instantly recognize the song before I start to sing the lyrics aloud.

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you. By now, you should've somehow realized what you gotta do. I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you now."

We nod our heads in sync, dancing along to the song, as we head to the ice cream parlor.

✌︎

"No!" Mia laughs and dodges the ice cream cone. She opens her mouth to speak, but I shove the ice cream into her mouth playfully. "Shawn!"

"What?" I raise my hands in defense. "I didn't do a thing."

"You're a kid at heart, Mendes." She shoves my arms and licks both of the ice creams in her hands.

"No," I say, shoving her back. "I'm just a kid in love."

Her mouth parts as she stares at my face. I watch as her eyes flicker from my eyes to my lips, and mine do the same. She then leans closer to my chest as we continue to walk back to our neighborhood. My arm around her tightens and I find my lips kissing her forehead.

I'm just a kid in love, but being in love is the one thing I enjoy in life.

Made July 6, 2016 - Rewritten June 12, 2018]