Chapter One

“I came in here a week before school started to have this issue sorted out. They took my application and told me to get my new schedule the day before school started. I went back on that day and it still wasn’t ready. School’s been in session for three weeks now and I’m still not placed in my right history class. When are you guys planning on fixing this?” I shifted my position, standing in the doorway of the attendance office. The lady behind the counter remained patient with me.

                “I’m sorry for your delay. We’ll get right to it and make sure it’s all ready for you when you get to school tomorrow morning.”

                “It better be,” I muttered, turning around and leaving the building. I headed to my car when my phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and answered it. “Hey.”

                “What’re you doing this afternoon?” Haley asked. Haley was my best friend. I switched my phone from one ear to the other as I dug in my backpack for my car keys. “Honestly I just want to go home, get a coffee, and go to bed.”

                “Ohh okay.  Hey did you get the whole schedule crisis solved?”

                “I hope so.”

                “My girl didn’t leave her good attitude outside the door when she went into the office again did she?”

                I grunted in a way that could have been interpreted as a yes or a no, depending on how the listener perceived it.

                “Urgh Elissa! You gotta keep that temper in check! Nothing good comes out of a bad attitude!”

                “I know, I know. I was pissed. You would be too if you’d lost three weeks of instructional time because the people whose job it is to fix things like this weren’t doing jack to help you.”

                Haley sighed. “Alright. Well I’ll let you go. Text me later if you feel like going out okay?”

                “Sure.”

                “Toodles!” The phone clicked.