Chapter Sixteen

When I got up that morning, Antanie wasn’t there. Instead, he had written on the hotel notepad:

I haven’t abandoned you. Be back around 9:00.

                I decided to take the opportunity to take a shower since I needed one and I knew I’d feel weird doing it if Ant was here.

                I was just drying my hair when I heard the hotel door open.  I clicked off the hairdryer and pulled my hair up while watching Ant’s reflection in the mirror. He had a brown paper bag that he put on the table before disappearing around the corner. I left the bathroom.

                “What’s that?”

                “Breakfast.” He replied, not looking at me.

                “Oohhh.” I unravelled the top part of the bag and saw doughnuts inside. “Sweet.” It was nice of him, but I felt weird. What was I doing here anyway? Why would Ant, of all people the one who I hated, do any of this?

                Then it hit me. It should’ve been obvious from that day we went to Starbucks. I suddenly felt like a real bitch for being so rude to him all the time. I turned around to say something but stopped when I saw his face.

                He was leaning against the backboard of the hotel bed on his phone, the area around his left eye bruised and his lip bleeding and swollen.

                “Antanie what the fuck?”

                “Shoulda seen the other guy. Jit got his ass whooped.”

                I ignored him and went into the bathroom to get a warm washcloth. I headed back over to him and sat down on the edge of the bed, handing him the washcloth. “It’ll help. What were you doing that you got in a fight?”

                “You don’t wanna know.” He replied.

                I narrowed my eyes. “Well obviously I do since you just asked.”

                “This jit tryna steal from my boy Scott.”

                I didn’t really know to the full extent what he meant by that so I just said, “Oh.”

                “Yeah. You ready to go?”

                “Yeah lemme just get my stuff from the bathroom.” I got my stuff together and we left, the whole time I kept my eye out for any more trouble.

(Comment if you want me to keep updating!! Everything is about to change.)