Chapter Nine

My head was throbbing by the time I got out of school. I had debate club after school that day so I couldn’t take the bus or get a ride from a friend, since they had already left.

                My phone buzzed. It was my mom. I answered it. “Hello?”

                “Hi sweetie, how was school?”

                “Good? I have a headache though. Are you on your way?”

                “I don’t actually think I’m going to be able to get you today. They’ve asked me to work a sisteen hour shift in the ER and I need the extra hours.”

                I groaned. “Again? Didn’t you just work eighteen last weekend?”

                “I know, honey, but I can’t say know, especially if I want that promotion. Do you think you’ll be able to get a ride from someone?”

                I knew my mom would be stressed with the long shift, especially in the ER, and I didn’t want her worrying about me as well. “Of course!” I lied. “I got it.”

                “Oh good.” I could hear the relief in her voice. “Well I’ll see you in the morning, I’ll be home between eight and nine.”

                “Okay. See you then.” I hung up.

                “Need a ride?”

                I jumped and turned around. Antanie was standing right behind me. “Will you cut that out? And no, I don’t need a ride. My mom’s on her way here now.”

                “No she ain’t. I heard that whole conversation, and I’m not fucking retarded.”

                I narrowed my eyes at the word retarded. I hated when people used it. I decided to change the subject by questioning him, “Where were you at school today? I saw you at lunch and you’re here now, but you weren’t in any classes.”

                He shrugged. “School’s boring as shit. I got better stuff to do.”

                I raised my eyebrows. “Like what?”

                He shrugged again. “Since when did you care about me?”

                “I’m not saying I do.”

                He just looked at me. For a moment I thought I’d been too harsh, but that quickly passed. “A’ight. Well I’m leaving. You comin?”

                “No. I’ll walk home.”

                “Suit yourself.” He turned and walked away, picking at the back of his hair with a pick.

                The sky rumbled, and I felt raindrops on my head.

                Great.

This was just like in the movies, with the rain starting right at this moment. I sighed and crossed my arms as I watched Antanie pull back through the parking lot back up to me. I hurried over and opened the door to the passenger seat, getting in. Antanie was laughing at me. “Shut up,” I mumbled, slaming the door behind me.