Chapter Eleven

My mom got home just before eight the next morning, so I had my car to drive into school. When I got there, I saw Haley standing on the sidewalk, arms crossed, watching me. I walked up to her. “What?”

                “Why were you at Starbucks with that airhead?”

                “Whoa, who said I was anywhere with Antanie?”

                “Don’t pretend, Elissa, Victoria said she saw you out with him after four yesterday.”

                I shrugged. “Okay, so what I was out with Ant, do you have a problem with that?”

                “Yes, actually I do.” I walked past her and she hurried along behind me, continuing, “I just don’t want you ruining your reputation for that idiot.”

                I frowned, not turning around. “My reputation?”

                “You’re a good girl, Elissa. You’re smart and successful. He’s only going to bring you down.”

                I stopped and turned to look at Haley. “You need to chill. You’re turning a little thing into something huge. I needed a ride and he gave me on, and we stopped by Starbucks on the way home. It’s not a big deal.”

                “It kind of is, Elissa, and I’ve seen this before.”

                “Yeah with your older sister. But it’s not like I’m going to run off with some no-good criminal.”

                “Hey, leave Adrienne out of this, okay? You know nothing about that.”

                “Well I know I have absolutely no interest in Ant so you can drop it now.”

                “Fine.” She turned sharply and walked off. I sighed and went ahead to my first period since the bell was about to ring.

(Comment below if you're interested in reading the side story on Adrienne and the 'no-good criminal'! I was thinking of writing another story about that.)