Chapter Thirteen

“You drove me all the way out here to go to a convenience store?” I frowned at the old building at the end of the street chain plaza. “You know there’s one at, like, every street corner right?”

                “Not this one.”

                “What’s so special about this ruddy place?”

                “Well go fluff you potpourri Prom Queen, but you’re in for a rude awakening.”

                “And what could that be.” I said it like a statement, crossing my arms.

                “Life.” He replied simply, getting out of the car. “You comin in or staying here?”

                I sighed, rolling my eyes. I wasn’t really expecting a sensible, serious answer out of him anyway. Looking skeptically at the convenience store, I got out of the car. Mostly I needed to use the bathroom and get a drink.

                “What I thought,” I heard Ant mutter. I followed him and practiced mentally throwing knifes at him. He turned and grinned at me as he walked around the side of the building. I raised my eyebrows and hurried forth to catch up to him. “Where are we going?”

                “Through the back.”

                “What? Why? Are we even allowed?”

                Antanie stopped and turned to look at me. “Calm your tits, its chill.”

                I opened my mouth to reply but when he laughed and turned back to continue, I decided to let that one slide. I didn’t really feel like arguing with him anymore. For the time being.

                I watched as Ant opened the back door to the convenience store. I was a little surprised to see that it was unlocked, but judging by the way he seemed to know what he was doing, I figured he’d been here before, maybe even frequently.

                “Wassup, mane?” I heard a voice call out.

                “Sup, bro,” Ant replied.

                “Aye you got a bud by any chance? I’m tryna make a lil extra tonight.”

                “Nah bra, Scott finna hook us up Tuesday though.”

                I stood by the door taking this in. So this is what Antanie got into when he wasn’t in school.

                “Aye, who’s that?” A heavyset, scary looking man with a huge scar on his chin and tattoos all over his shoulders and arms was squinting at me from where he sat on old soda crates. I looked to Ant to answer.

                “That’s just my friend. Elissa.”

                “I see. Hey girl you smoke?”

                I tried to keep my face clear of expression as I replied, “No, I don’t.” I turned to Ant and glared at him. “I’m going to the front to use the bathroom and get a drink, Antanie.” I left to go around before either Scarface or Ant could say anything more to me.