Chapter Twenty-Three

The next day, surprisingly, Ant was at school the entire day. We didn’t speak to each other though; I was still working up the courage to confront him. I would have done it by now but I was scared to hear what he had to say. Finally I decided I needed to do it, before he did.

                          “Ant,” I caught him on the way out after lunch. “We need to talk.”

                          “He turned around slightly, awknowledging me, but he didn’t look at me. “What about.”

                          “About what you’re doing. And your absences. Where do you go? Do you even care about me at all? I don’t know where you go when you’re not here but I’d think you’d at lest try to contact me. I did, a couple times, but I didn’t here shit from you. I can’t keep doing this.” My throat tightnened and my eyes teared up. “After Key Biscayne I thought maybe you wouldn’t do this but if I’m not worth your effort then you aren’t worth my time. So figure this shit out or forget it.”

                          “Elissa, you’re worth everything. I mean I-“

                          “And what about that conversation with that girl about what you had to tell me? I hope it’s a good reason for why you’re never at school anymore.”

                          “Man I told youalready, I’ve been sick.”

                          “Antanie, you can’t be sick all the time. You only come when it’s convenient for you.”

                          “I come when I can to see you. But there’s really no point other than that.”

                          “No point to school? To your education? Come on.”

                          “Naw, what’s the point of being here now when I won’t be here to graduate?”

                          I stared at him. “What are you talking about?”

                          “I think you know.”

                          “Know what?”

                          “I’ma let you figure that one out, Prom Queen.” He left.

                          I just stood there, stunned, tears running down my cheeks. I already had it figured out.