Chapter Ten

He shook his head. “Goddamn you’re stubborn. You know I didn’t have to come back to get your ass.”

                I looked at him and he raised his eyebrows. “Thanks.” I said.

                He nodded and pulled out of the parking lot, taking 34th street west. “Where are we going?” I asked.

                “Where do you wanna go?”

                “Uh… home?”

                He kissed his teeth. “You lame.”

                “My head hurts.” I replied defensively.

                “And going home is gonna cure that, huh.”

                “Well then I can get a coffee and just lie down.”

                “A coffee.” He repeated. I looked at him. “Yeah. The caffeine in a coffee relaxes and loosens up the tension in the neural pathways of your brain that causes a headache. It’s more effective and quicker than pain relievers.”

                “I did not know that.” Ant’s casual slanguage made it odd whenever he spoke in proper language, and it made him sound like a smartass when he did.

                He made another turn.

                “My house is the other way.” I noted.

                “We’re not going to your house right now Elissa.” Again with the formality. That mixed with what he was wearing was just strange on him. “Well where are we going then?” I questioned, crossing my arms and shifting in my seat.

                “Starbucks.”

                “Why?”

                He leaned back in his seat, stretching his arms while keeping them firm on the wheel. “Coffee loosens the tension in the neural.. fuckin’… pathways in your brain which gets rid of the bitch-ass headaches.”

                I had to give him credit. He was clever. “But what if I don’t want to go to Starbucks?”

                “Aren’t white chicks like, obsessed with Starbucks?”

                “Not this white chick.”

                “Well too bad.”

                I glared at him. “Whatever.”

                “Thank you for taking me to get a coffee to help my headache, Antanie,” he said loudly, in his annoying voice.

                I rolled my eyes and he laughed, pulling into the Starbucks parking lot. We got out quickly and went inside to avoid getting too wet.

                “What do you want?”

                “Um, Pumpkin Spice I think.”

                “A’ight. Go sit down, I gotchu.”

                “Thanks.” I went and sat at one of the tables against the wall, and Antanie joined me a moment later. We waited in awkward silence for our names to be called. I decided I’d let the kiss yesterday go. I didn’t really want to bring it up anyways.

                “Antanie,” an employee called out. “I’ll get it,” I offered, getting up to get Ant’s coffee. They handed me the drink as they called, “Prom Queen!” I sighed, embarrassed. “That would be me.” They handed me my coffee and I went back over to Antanie. “Very funny.”

                He just took his coffee and laughed. “Thanks.”