Chapter Twenty

• Dedicated to Antanie Copeland(Inspiration)

That Friday night, I told my mom I was going out of town to Miami Beach with Indiana. Then, at around nine o’clock, I went out to meet Antanie.

            “Hey Prom Queen.” He looked over at me as I got into the passenger seat of his car.

            “Hey”

            “You ready?”

            “No shit. That’s why I’m here.”

            He laughed quietly as he backed up out of his parking spot and got onto the main road.

            “Promise me no convenience stores.” I thought back to what happened last time.

            “Nah not this time. Ion know anyone in Key Biscayne anyway we just gonna chill.”

            “Nice.” It was quiet for a little bit then. Ant turned on music and I leaned my head against the window, looking out.  

We got them phantoms on deck

Lambo on the side

Chevy sitting high

Yeah bitch that’s how we ride

That’s how we do it

We post it up up in the club

Bottles on ice

Pocket full of hunnas and we got the cheapest price

That’s how we do it

            At some point I dozed off, I don’t really remember when or how long I was out, I just remember when I woke, Antanie had my hand in his. For some reason he wasn’t huge on affection. He obviously liked me but it was as if he didn’t want me to know.

            I kept my eyes closed so he thought I was asleep, but I stayed awake. I liked the peaceful, comforting feel of his fingers around mine.

            A little while later he released his hand from mine. I stayed still, and I felt the car slow and come to a halt. I opened my eyes and looked out the front window to see an Inn in front of us. Antanie got out of the car and came over to my side to open the door for me.

            “Please don’t tell me tonight’s gonna be as weird and awkward as the last time.”

            Ant laughed, holding his hand out to help me. “Somethin tells me it aint gonna be like that at all.”

            I stood up straight to where we were face to face. “Good.” I replied. He leaned in; only slightly because we were so close; and kissed me again but this time it was different. When he kissed me earlier this week it was a quick, out of nowhere impulsive kiss. But this time it was different. It was him making up for all the other times he’d wanted to kiss me, and all the time he waited. And it was me succumbing to it all, torn between pulling away because I felt like I couldn’t keep up and never wanting him to stop.

            Then he did pull back, and I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me close into a hug, the sensation so comforting and relaxing I was overwhelmed by it.

            He stated matter of factly, “I like you.”

            I sighed contentedly, and replied, “I like you too.” And it was true, although I wasn’t really sure when and how it happened.

            We checked into our room a few minutes later. Ant went into the bathroom and I got changed and climbed into bed, watching the condensation from the AC under the window drip onto the carpet. Those AC vents brought back so many childhood memories of every vacation, specifically a trip to Disney’s Magic Kingdom when I was eight. I remembered lying in the hotel, my new Aristocat stuffed animal held tightly to me, whispering in the dark with my sister Cai. All those memories, yet I knew after this trip, this would be the strongest memory held to that AC vent.

            About ten minutes later, Ant came out of the bathroom. He shuffled around doing something for a moment, and although I was curious I stayed still, waiting for him to come to me.

            The bed sunk down on one side as he lay next to me. “You awake Prom Queen?”

            I rolled over to face him. “Yeah.”

            He smiled at me, with this big goofy smile that I’d never seen before. It was the kind of smile that would scare you if you looked at it too long. I averted my gaze. “Why do you call me that?”

            “What, Prom Queen?”

            “Yeah.”

            “You seem like the type. Smart, gorgeous, and everyone loves you. I honestly don’t know how we got here. Why would you pick me, out of all the other guys who would kill for you?”

            I looked back at him, into his eyes. “We found our way to each other. I don’t know exactly how we got here, but I’m glad we did.” He towards me, and reached around my waist to pull me closer, kissing me passionately. I complied, our lips moving in sync.

            He was on top of me before I was aware of it, and our clothes were coming off. His hands were slipping up my shirt when I called time-out.

            “Antanie, yellow flag. Yellow flag.”

            He obeyed immediately. “Whats up?”

            “I just.. I don’t know.”

            “You scared?”

            “Yeah a little. I’ve just never-“

            He cut me off, kissing me. “Shh,” he whispered, reaching up and kissing my forehead. “I’m gentle and I don’t bite.”

            “Promise?”

            “I gotchu Prom Queen. You gonna be fine. I’m not doin this cause I wanna sleep with you, I’m tryna love you and I’d never hurt you purposely. You just lemme know if you want me to stop.”

            I closed my eyes and then opened them again nodding, yielding my body to him.