Chapter 12.

"I really don't feel good. I'm so nervous. " I told Kevin before running into the bathroom to throw up.

The custody trial got moved up to this morning, and I had the gut feeling I was going to lose. Badly.

I had been staying with him since the blow up at Dante's house and it was okay. I already knew his kids, but now they know we're dating and they seem to be accepting it. My kids, don't really know because they've been staying with Courtney and Chris, until the trial ends.

" Are you gonna be okay? " Kevin asked, holding my hair back. " Do you need to see a doctor? You've been really sick lately."

"I'm fine, just really scared and really nervous. That's it. Now go, get ready. " I waved him off and hopped in the shower.

The closer the time came for the trial to start, the more uneasy I became. Something just wasn't right.

We drove to the court building in silence. Even baby Lia Esperanza was quiet. I quickly got out, smoothed out my black dress, and walked into the building holding Kevin's hand.

Mr. Zaragoza greeted us inside, looking wary. " I have a convincing argument, but they have a very good lawyer, Pehre Varnas and a surprise witness. We're going to have a long road ahead of us, but that's the good thing about trials, they take weeks. " He joked sadly. He already looked dejected and worn out and we hadn't even started yet.

" All rise for the honorable judge, Stewart Swift. " The bailiff said sternly. The wrinkly old man looked familiar, but I couldn't place him.

Nathaniel looked handsome, as usual in a black suit with a pink tie. At least he remembered my favorite color.
His lawyer saw me and smirked. This Pehre Varnas guy looked oddly familiar to, but I don't think I knew anyone in a wheelchair. And what type of name is Pehre anyway?

I looked around during the opening statements. Kevin, Orlean and Courtney where in the back row, and my babies were sitting 2 rows behind me, sleeping. They were probably bored out of their minds, but they were here.

No jury, just us and the very strange judge. He seemed to be scowling at me.
I just kept looking around. The Crack on the dull brown wall, scribbles on a desk, scratches on a railing. Little, insignificant things no one would even catch, but they were there.

Every so often, I'd catch Nathaniel staring at me. Sometimes it was quick glances, and other times a full blown stare. I just wonder how we got here. To this point. We used to be so in love with each other, so happy. Now all I think about is the brokenness of our relationship. Broken promises, broken vows, broken dreams and two broke down people. All we had left were the kids. They were the best part of us anyway.

"Your honor, our first witness, Ms. Darla Rodriguez, owner and operator of The Secret Service. " Pehre said as Ms. Rodriguez walked up to the stand.

I couldn't even look up while Ms. Rodriguez called me everything except a hard working child of God. She painted me as the worst type of person. A judgemental, thieving prostitute with no morals. It was just slut shaming, but it wasn't favorable in the eyes of the judge.

" Are you gonna do anything?" I whispered in Mr. Zaragoza's ear. He was literally sweating.

" I can't, that was your job. I can't dispute that. " He whispered back.

I just sat back and sighed. After Ms. Rodriguez walked in Carson from the restaurant. Every question hurt, because I knew they were trying to take my babies away, but I was powerless.

" Finally, your honor, we call our final witness, Officer Dante Phillips. " Mr. Varnas said.

I felt my blood run cold when he walked in, full uniform. This was not going to be good.