chapter 18.

"Dante,  what are you doing here?" I asked cautiously,  reaching into my pocket for my phone. 
"Honey,  who are you trying to call?" He moved towards me,  causing me to back into the foyer wall.  He looked so different from when I first met him.

  His eyes were empty.  Emotionless. He seemed bigger, as if by some strange act of God he was still growing. He just seemed darker. Then it hit me,  Dante was a monster.

"Did you want to call the police,  after I made you such a nice meal? I took my time to make something really good for my family. My girl and my baby. " he said cheerfully. 

It was so strange,  he sounded so happy but the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as he spoke. His words and manners were bizarre,  him speaking as if we were a happy little family, but his actions didn't match.

"Stay away from me. Rian told me what you are.  Get out of my house!" I screamed. Hopefully these new nosy ass neighbors call the police.

"I'm not with Rian anymore Imani,  I'm yours now. You are mine and I am yours. " he caressed my face as he made his declaration.

"I don't belong to you I don't belong to anyone but myself. " I whimpered. Being on my own since I was 18, I'd been through my fair share of troubles.  I'd never been so frightened in my life.  It wasn't words,  it wasn't his actions,  it was how weak I felt after he touched my face. How I melted as he tucked my hair behind my ear. 

Maybe he was right,  maybe I did belong to him. Kevin didn't want me.  Nathaniel,  although he was trying,  we weren't going to work out. Maybe Dante could love me and this baby.

"Come here. Come here honey. " Dante whispered,  pulling me in. And,  as tears welled up in my eyes, I hugged him back,  seeing those same green eyes I fell in love with at the hospital. "It's okay Imani,  I'm here now. I forgive you for everything else. "

"I'm so sorry Dante. Im so sorry. Please forgive me. " I sobbed into his chest. Maybe this little family could work with Dante.  He'd never hit me like Nathaniel did. He didn't get me knocked up and go back to his baby momma like Kevin.

"It's alright,  sweet girl. I forgive you. Let's go to bed. " Dante said softly,  leading me to me and my husband's room.  "Let's get some rest sweet girl. "

The next morning,  I woke up in a fog and alone. I guess that's something they all have on common,  they always leave at night.

Oh shit  ,I thought looking at my phone. It wasn't morning at all. It was actually past 1 in the afternoon and I had 3 missed calls from Nathaniel and one from Orlean. None from Courtney.

"Imani,  this is the third time im calling you. Your kids miss you and I'm trying to make sure you're alright,  if you get some time,  call back. " a very irritated Nathaniel said on voicemail.

"Um,  Imani,  this is Orlean. I'm, I know we're not friends or anything and you're probably still upset but Courts not answering her phone and I went by and she won't even open her door and...  I know im rambling but I'm really worried about her. She's six months pregnant and, I don't know. Im just seeing if she called you? Give me a call back. " Orlean rattled frantically. 

Even though me and Orlean will never be friends again, I know how much she loves and cares for Courtney. I also know she would never call me if it wasn't important. 

I tried to call her.  "Hey,  you've reached Courtney Taylor-Aderson. I'm 
not available currently, but leave a name, number and a message. I'll be sure to get back with you.  Have a phenomenal day today!"