Eighteen

J A C E

"What are we supposed to do know?" I let the question slip as soon as we shot out of the portal, landing in nothing but a wasteland of dead bodies and buildings in ruins.

"There. That's where he's keeping her. The tracking showed that place exactly, so come on." Magnus pointed out.

I followed his gaze towards the huge stone building, shaped somewhat like a medieval palace, but the palace obviously wasn't built for the trusty king; it was built for the evil villain.

"We need to get there before he goes through with this." Isabelle stated quickly, following Magnus down the side of the rocky hillside we currently stood in.

"I won't be able to live with myself if I don't get her out." I mumbled under my breath, heart racing as I ran next to the others at a fast pace, eyes fixed on the stone building we were heading towards.

"You can't afford to think like that, none of us can. We'll get Clary out, and the baby; it's all going to be fine." Alec stated, making me feel the slightest bit better.

Any use of Alec making me feel better vanished the second we came to stand right in front of the huge double doors at the entrance of the stone palace, because the minute we made a move, demons began pouring out of the inside of the fortress.

"Jace, you head on in, we'll hold them off!" Magnus shouted over the commotion, signalling for me to go through the slim passageway that stood at the left side of the building.

"No! He can't go in alone, not when we have no clue what we're up against in there, I'll go with him." Alec stated, appearing by my side within seconds.

"I can't promise that we'll hold them off permanently, but we can buy you as much time as we can." Isabelle shouted, earning thankful nods off of both myself and Alec.

"C'mon, we gotta go." Alec spoke up, gaze fixed on the site of the overpowers crowd of demons that were currently swarming around the three people we were depending on to buy is enough time.

"We can't leave them like this, there's too many of them to be held off." I stated, watching as a demon swooped down out of the blue, tackling Simon to the floor with its deadly claws.

"Mate, the longer we stay and watch, the more time we're giving Sebastian to get that baby out of Clary. We need to get moving, now." Alec spoke up loud and clear,pulling me out of my train of thoughts completely.

"You're right, let's go." I stated, taking one last glance at the battle field before turning around completely, running towards the open passageway with Alec right behind me.

"Trust Sebastian to build such narrow passageways, by the Angel." Alec huffed in annoyance, squeezing his way through the short tunnel after I stepped through.

"Only him." I grunted in response, pushing against the walls as we neared the wide opening, the pair of us making our way out with ease.

"Do you hear that?" Alec questioned in slight panic, grabbing ahold of my shoulder so that I'd stop and listen.

I stopped dead in my tracks breathing heavily, concentrating my hearing on whatever sound had caught Alec's attention the second we stepped into the fortress.

And then I heard it. The ear piercing screams that I had grown all too familiar with, the screams that broke my heart and sent me into a state of worry worse than any other.