Thirty

This chapter is so adorable I'm in love.

J A C E

I woke up rather early the next morning, and as I turned over to try and drift off to get a bit more sleep, I was surprised to find Clary laying wide awake by my side.

"How long have you been up?" I questioned curiously, wrapping my arm around her waist whilst I leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"I don't know, half an hour maybe?" She questioned, staring up at the ceiling whilst she spoke.

"What's bothering you?" I questioned with a concerned expression plastered across my face, resting my head comfortably on Clary's chest whilst she gently ran her hand through my hair.

"For once, it's actually nothing bad that's bothering me." She chuckled slightly, making me all the more curious.

"Then what is it?" I questioned, staring aimlessly at her bump as I rested my hand on it, drawing meaningless patterns whilst I waited for Clary to answer.

"The twins were asking me about baby names last night, and it got me thinking.." She trailed off, causing me to stop drawing patterns before lifting my head up in order to stare at her.

"Ty and Livia were asking about baby names?" I questioned, watching as Clary smiled and nodded in return before she spoke up once again.

"I told them that we hadn't really had time to think about names with everything going on, so they offered their help, and since they seemed really interested in the whole thing, I let them." Clary stated, smile growing just as my curiosity did.

"So what happened?" I questioned eagerly, causing Clary to chuckle at my tone before she carried on explaining.

"Ty came up with a name, and I know it's not one that we picked together as parents, but honestly, I love it." Clary stated shyly, smile never leaving her face whilst my curiosity was literally eating me alive.

"What name was it?" I questioned as eager as ever, elevating my tone without meaning to whilst Clary burst out laughing.

"Just tell me!" I pleaded once again, watching as Clary's laughter died down after a short while before she spoke up again.

"Cordelia. Cordelia Herondale." Clary stated, and this time, it was her staring at me with eager eyes to witness my reaction whilst I processed the information.

"Cordelia..it's perfect." I smiled, simply loving the way the name sounded and how perfectly it seemed to fit.

"You think so?" Clary questioned with a wide grin, arms wrapped around my neck whilst I rolled over, hovering over her smaller frame.

"I know so." I smiled, leaning down in order to press my lips against her own, holding myself up with my elbows which rested at either side of Clary's face.

"We've got just under two months to go before the baby arrives, what are we going to do about Sebastian?" Clary questioned as we broke apart, hands resting against both of my cheeks whilst she stared up at me with worried eyes.

"We need to focus on getting that book back that he took from the institute in Los Angeles; because without it, he can't carry out his plans." I stated, earning a hesitant nod off of Clary in return.

"I'm scared for Emma and the Blackthorns, especially the kids. I wish they would've never had a part in this, they don't deserve to be in this type of danger." Clary sighed.

"You and I both know that Emma and Julian would've gotten involved one way or another, it's in their nature. And as for the kids, the twins aren't kids anymore, neither is Dru. Yeah, Tavvy's still young, but no ones going to let anything happen to him." I stated, tucking a lose strand of hair behind Clary's ear.

"I guess you're- wow, okay, calm down there Dels." Clary cut herself off as soon as she began to speak, brow furrowing as she gently pushed me off of her, hands reaching down towards her bump.

"On nicknames already are we?" I questioned, staring at Clary whilst I chuckled at my own words. But the second I realised she didn't laugh along, I cut myself off and advanced towards her worriedly.

"Clary are you alright?" I questioned, wrapping my arm around her back whilst I rubbed it soothingly, watching as she took a sharp intake of breath.

"I'm okay, she's just kicking a little harder today, that's all." Clary spoke, gritting her teeth slightly as she screwed her eyes shut for a split second.

"What can I do? Should I go get Magnus? Should I-" I began to question frantically, but Clary was quick to cut me off, reaching down for my hand that wasn't wrapped around her back.

"Keep talking." She stated simply as she grabbed ahold of my hand, causing me to furrow my brow in confusion.

"Clary what are you-" I began to question, but she simply cut me off again, repeating her previous words.

"Keep talking. Your voice is calming her down." She mumbled, pressing our interlocked hands against the side of her stomach.

"Are you being serious?" I question in disbelief, watching as Clary simply smiled and nodded at my question, urging me to carry on.

"Uh..hey there baby, do you think you could keep the wriggling around to a minimum in there? Mummy's not really enjoying all of the kicks." I spoke whilst Clary to smile widely, boosting my already forever growing confidence even more.

"You can wriggle around all you like as soon as you're out, I promise. Daddy can't wait to meet you Dels, you're giving us a real hard time waiting for you babygirl." I chuckled, hand constantly pressed against Clary's bump.

"Who's stealing my nickname now huh?" Clary questioned, smirk plastered across her face whilst I chuckled at her.

"I can't wait until she's here." I smiled, finally removing my hand as I stared up at Clary.

"I hope everything's over by the time she's born. I don't want her being brought into the world in the middle of a war zone." Clary stated, staring over at me with sad eyes.

"I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times; I won't let him, nor anyone else hurt our little girl, not now, and not ever." I spoke up seriously.

"You're going to be such a great father." Clary answered in return, small smile spreading across her face.

"I hope so." I chuckled, bending over so that I was now face to face with Clary's bump.

"Mummy and daddy can't wait to meet you, Cordelia Herondale." I mumbled quietly, pressing my lips against the centre of Clary's stomach, earning a soft kick in return to my words.