Twenty seven

J A C E

"We need to get back to the institute, now." I voiced quickly, watching as Sebastian's demons began to disappear, and soon enough, he was gone.

"Jace, please, let us come with you. It's our fault that you're in this mess-" Emma began to speak, but Isabelle cut her off with a gentle tone.

"It's not your fault Em, don't say that. We came to help, and it turned out to have some consequences, which we just need to work around." Isabelle stated, her calm tone taking me by ultimate surprise.

"But you're coming back to the institute with us anyway, he knows you're allies of ours and Sebastian could attack again whenever he feels like, you know what he's like, he kills in cold blood, he doesn't care about anyone." Alec stated, earning nods off of both me and Isabelle.

"I'll go get the kids." Julian stated, quickly running back up the stairs whilst Emma trailed closely behind him.

"I can't hang around, not when I know Clary might be in danger, again. Iz, you stay here and help Emma and Julian get the kids ready, me and Alec will go back now." I spoke up, heart thudding hard against my chest as I tried to keep my worry at bay.

"Be careful." Isabelle warned worriedly, pulling both me and Alec into quick hugs before she too ran up the steps, urging me and Alec to leave.

"Magnus is opening up a portal, I don't understand, he hasn't mentioned anything about Sebastian or any of them being attacked." Alec stated confusedly, shoving his phone back into his pocket as we headed towards the portal.

"Hopefully, nothing has reached them yet. Come on, we need to hurry." I stated, quickly stepping through the portal with Alec by my side, running down the familiar streets towards the institute once we'd come out the other side in Brooklyn.

We both barged through the institute doors, and instantly, I ran up the stairs, loudly calling out Clary's name with never ending panic laced through my words.

"Jace, might I ask, why on earth are you shouting?" Magnus appeared at the top of the steps with a confused look spread across his face, followed closely by Simon, and in between the pair, stood Clary.

A wave of relief washed through me the second I laid eyes on Clary, and I was fast to reach the top of the stairs, pulling her into my arms tighter than I ever had before, our bodies fitting together perfectly, just as they always did.

"What on earth has gotten into you?" Clary questioned worriedly as I pulled away, cupping her cheeks with both hands, making sure she was 100% alright in every way possible.

"It was Sebastian, he was the one that attacked in Los Angeles, he said..he said that it was all a set up, said that he knew we'd be there to help Emma and Julian, and that his men would be back to take you whilst we were distracted." Alec spoke up for me, because quite frankly, I was too focused on the fact that Clary was alive and in my arms to do anything else.

"Wait, what? No one has been in or out of the institute since you left, everything has just been..rather normal" Magnus questioned confusedly.

"Why would he say those things then?" I questioned confusedly, racking my brain for any type of answer that would fit his weird behaviour.

"I have no idea..hold on, where's Isabelle?" Simon questioned with a raised eyebrow. I was about to reply, but I was soon cut off by Izzy herself.

"Right here!" Isabelle called out from the entryway of the institute, followed closely by Emma, Julian, and the rest of the Blackthorn siblings.

"Clary! You're alright!" Emma was the first to spot Clary out of the arriving group, and she left Julian's side quickly, running up the stairs until she reached us.

Clary let go of me with a smile upon seeing Emma. She quickly turned to the girl that was currently sprinting up the stairs, pulling her into a tight hug whilst she grinned at the younger shadowhunter.

"We thought..how come..wait what?" Julian questioned confusedly, cutting himself off multiple times as he tried to find the right words.

"We don't know, nothing went down as he said it would, we're just as confused as you are." Alec stated, making his way down the stairs whilst the rest of us followed closely behind.

"Hey Julian, how's it going buddy?" Simon questioned, greeting Julian with a quick hug whilst his younger brothers and sisters stared around in confusion.

"Well, I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you four." Magnus stated, glancing curiously at the kids that stood next to Julian.

"Oh yeah, well, these are the twins, Tiberius and Livia, that one is Dru, and this little one is Octavian, but everyone calls him Tavvy." Julian spoke, introducing each one with a smile on his face.

"Are you a warlock?" Dru questioned curiously, being the first one to speak up, causing me to chuckle whilst Magnus beamed at her interest.

"Why yes, I am. In fact, I'm the-" Magnus began to speak, but the rest of us, including Emma and Julian, cut him off.

"High warlock of Brooklyn." We finished off, causing Dru and the rest to chuckle at our bored yet amused tones.

"You're Jace! I remember you from all of the shadowhunter stories Jules used to tell me before bed."  Livia stated, pulling her twin forward as she advanced towards me.

"That's me. All tales where I save the day, I hope?" I questioned with a smirk, earning a playful eye roll off of Clary.

"Your ego is going to be the death of you one day, I swear." Clary spoke up, making her way towards me whilst the twins chuckled at her statement.

"Don't listen to him, he takes way too much credit." Simon stated, breaking off his current conversation with Isabelle, causing me to roll my eyes whilst chuckling at him.

"Sorry to bother you guys, Tavvy has been tugging on my sleeve for at least five minutes straight, he wanted to come see you." Julian spoke, trudging over with the eight year old trailing closely behind.

"Don't worry, he's cool to stay with us if he wants." I spoke up, earning a smile off of the youngest Blackthorn.

"Why is your tummy so big?" Tavvy questioned curiously, eyes now focused on Clary's bump whilst Julian scolded him.

"She's pregnant, Tavvy." Tiberius spoke up, which only left his younger brother as confused as he was before.

"I'm so sorry about that." Julian apologised, causing Clary to wave him off, shaking her head as she did so.

"Don't worry, it's fine. Here Tavvy, give me your hand." Clary spoke, bending down slightly to reach out for his hand, whilst Julian urged him to take it.

Tavvy stepped forward shyly, placing his smaller hand in Clary's, staring down curiously as she held his hand to her stomach, and soon enough, he was gasping in shock.

"Did you feel that?" Clary questioned, chuckling lightly as Tavvy stood there with wide eyes.

"There's a little baby growing inside my tummy, and I think she likes you." Clary stated, watching as Tavvy smiled widely, pressing his small palm against her stomach once again.

"Where did she come from?" Tavvy questioned curiously, causing Julian's eyes to widen whilst I stifled a laugh and Clary blushed.

"I think it's time for your bedtime mister." Tiberius stepped in, gently pulling his younger brother away, earning a silent thank you off of Julian.

"Here, I'll show you to your rooms." I offered, earning nods off of them before the they started following me up the stairs, Tiberius holding a sleepy Tavvy, his head resting comfortably in the crook of his older brothers neck.