Twenty two

J A C E

I gripped ahold of Clary's hand whilst we made our way down the hall out of the infirmary, pulling her behind me whilst I headed for the training room.

"Jace? How's-" Alec began to question, but I stepped out of the way to reveal Clary, watching all them stare at her as if she were some sort of ghost.

"Clary!" Isabelle shouted, being the first to snap out of the trance, quickly making her way towards her before pulling her into a tight hug which caused Clary to giggle.

"How're you feeling?" Simon questioned following closely behind Isabelle, pulling Clary into another quick hug once Isabelle was done.

"I feel fine." Clary stated, nodding her head with a smile whilst Magnus made his way over, making sure she really was okay before pulling her into another hug.

"You gave us quite the scare." Alec mumbled, arms wrapping around Clary whilst he pulled her into his chest, causing Clary to smile at his worried tone.

"I'm okay now, see?" She chuckled, indicating towards herself with both hands after letting go of Alec.

"We've actually got some news." I stated, cutting in before anyone else had the chance to talk.

"What is it?" Isabelle questioned, eyebrow raised whilst she stared at both me and Clary with curious eyes.

"Well, we know the sex of the baby." Clary smiled widely, leaning into my side whilst she spoke, causing all of Simon's, Magnus', Alec's and Isabelle's jaws to drop.

"What?! How? But I haven't even told you guys yet!" Magnus stated, causing me to stare at him confusedly.

"You knew?" I questioned, not that sure of why I was so surprised to hear him say that.

"Darling, I'm the high warlock of Brooklyn-" Magnus began to speak, but all five of us cut him off simultaneously.

"And there's nothing you can't do." We all stated far too loudly in unison, causing Magnus to chuckle whilst he raised his hands up in defeat.

"Thanks for learning the speech biscuits, it's very much appreciated." Magnus shrugged, causing all five of us to roll our eyes at him playfully.

"So? Are you gonna tell us or are you going to leave us hanging?" Alec questioned, earning nods of encouragement off of both Simon and Isabelle.

"It's going to be a girl." Clary stated, smiling widely whilst Isabelle's eyes widened before anyone else's, a gasp leaving her lips before she decided to scream.

"A girl! This is brilliant! I'm going to have a little niece that I can take shopping and do makeup with and go-" Isabelle began to ramble, but I cut her off with a chuckle.

"Slow down Iz, baby hasn't even been born yet." I chuckled once again, earning a glare off of Isabelle.

"Jace? Something you want to say to me?" Alec questioned smoothly, taking a few steps forward with a pleased grin plastered across his face.

"No." I shrugged, earning a shove in the side off of Clary whilst she failed to contain her laughter, urging me to speak on whilst I let out a loud sigh.

"I'm sorry for doubting your uncle instinct, you won the bet." I stated quietly, hating the fact that I had to admit that I was wrong.

"Thank you, and who lost the bet, might I ask?" Alec questioned, passing dramatically whilst he smirked.

"Me." I mumbled barely above a whisper, staring down at the rune covered floor of the training room.

"I'm sorry, did you say something? I didn't quite catch that." Alec questioned, eyebrow furrowed in confusion. Bastard knew exactly what is said the first time round, and boy was he enjoying this.

"Me, alright? I lost the bet, I'm the loser, happy now?" I stated, raising my voice slightly whilst Alec beamed, chuckling before pulling me into a hug that I didn't quite expect.

"I love messing with you. Congrats by the way, I knew it was going to be a girl all along, uncles always know best." Alec stated, patting my back before pulling away completely.

"I don't think I've ever seen Jace lose at anything, let alone getting the sex of your own child wrong? Shame on you Jace." Simon tutted, climbing on board to Alec's little game of taking the piss.

"Don't start daylighter, I've had enough with him already." I warned, chuckling slightly whilst I pointed at Alec, who stood next to Magnus with a proud smirk settled across his face.

"You guys act like real kids sometimes, I swear." Clary chuckled, shaking her head whilst she stared at the three of us.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you pair find out that it was a girl?" Magnus questions in confusion, staring back and forth between me and Clary.

"Sebastian." Clary muttered out before I had the chance to speak up, staring down at the floor whilst she spoke.

"What? How?" Isabelle questioned with wide eyes.

"When he came here a few nights ago and took Clary, that's when he told her." I stepped in, speaking for Clary because I knew that the topic wasn't really appealing for her to talk about after everything that'd happened to her over the last couple of days.

"How did he even know?" Alec questioned.

"Same way I did, he can sense it. You know he's one hell of a powerful shadowhunter, the amount of power he already has is more than any normal shadowhunter could ever poses." Magnus stated.

"He's far from normal, Magnus." Isabelle jumped in, arms crossed over her chest whilst she spoke about the person she hated most.

"Everyone has some sort of soft spot that helps others-" Simon began to speak, but Isabelle was quick to cut him off, eyes wide.

"Soft spot? Simon this guy is a monster, he couldn't have a soft spot for anyone or anything even if he tried." Isabelle scoffed.

"Maybe not in a sentimental way, but maybe in combat or in power, there must be something that weakens him." Alec stated, deep in thought.

"Whatever it is, we better hope he was one, because Clary hasn't got that long to go before she reaches her nine months, and we need to find it by then if we stand a chance against him." Magnus stated, earning simultaneous nods off of the rest of us.

"He'll try coming back, I can guarantee that. He's got his eyes set on our child and he's not going to stop." I spoke up.

"All we have to do is weaken him, or even his people, the less outnumbered we are, the better." Alec stated.

"All we have to do is be ready for when he comes." Clary spoke quietly, hand placed securely on the side of her bump.

"And how do we know when he'll come?" Isabelle questioned.

"That's the problem, we have no way of knowing. He could come any day, at any time." Magnus sighed, shaking his head worriedly.