XV. The End

A figure walks to the top of a hill late at night, he sits down on the sandy ground and pulls down the hood that covers his head, showing the face of a strong man whose skin has been damaged by six years under the suns of Tatooine. The man looks up at the dark night sky, staring at the distant dots above him.

"The stars look beautiful tonight, darling." He whispers. "You would have loved them." He turns around to see the gravestone behind him:

Aure Sinder
Strong, admired, loved

-------

They had shared five happy years together before she left. It was difficult to start from zero when they arrived to Tatooine, and it was even more difficult to forget about their past life. Obi-Wan probably felt the worst and it pained Aure to see the always strong man, so weak and broken. She knew he blamed himself for everything and that made both of them even sadder. He didn't share a word with her or anybody else for days, he didn't cry or show any of his feelings; he seemed to be emotionless, but deep inside, he was broken, depressed.

"Obi, listen to me." She had told him once, sitting next to him on the bed of a small room in an inn of Tatooine. He slowly turned his gaze from the floor to her. "I know it is difficult, but you must stop blaming yourself. You are always doing it! You blamed yourself for Qui-Gon's death, for my parents' death, for my loss of memory... And now, for Anakin's mistakes! You couldn't do anything to stop that from happening, so stop filling your mind with 'I should have's and 'what if's. It's making you feel even worse!"

And that was it, that was all he needed to lean his head on her shoulder and cry, letting go of everything he felt and he had held back for days. They spent many days comforting each other, sharing their tears and sobs. In the end, they started to feel better, but they knew they would never be the same.

Days later, they found a humble home. It was small, dusty and dark, but it was their new home, so they ended up loving it. As soon as they found this house, they got married. It was a simple ceremony; they couldn't afford any luxury. The only guests were a priest and the Lars couple as witnesses. Aure wore a simple red dress, her favorite one, and Obi-Wan tried to dress as elegant as possible, which was quite difficult, as he didn't possess many clothes and they couldn't afford buying new ones.

The ceremony wasn't perfect, it wasn't what she had dreamed about, but she couldn't express the happiness she felt at the thought that she was now Mrs. Kenobi. And seeing him smile for the first time in weeks made that day ever better. They were finally together without restrictions, without the Code. They were finally free to love each other.

-------

Days later, they layed together in bed at night, very close to each other, as the days in Tatooine were hot, but the nights were freezing. Aure's back was facing his front; Obi-Wan had his arms wrapped around her, with his left hand resting on her belly, which was already showing. A little smile played on her lips while sleep started to take over her.

"Are you happy?" Obi-Wan whispered all of a sudden.

Aure's eyes opened and a little frown formed between her brows. She turned around to face her husband.

"I mean," he continued nervously. "are you happy here in Tatooine, with me?"

Aure smiled wide, showing him her shiny teeth, and she chuckled. "Of course I am happy, Obi." She was now the only person who didn't call him 'Ben'. "Being your wife and carrying your baby makes me the happiest person in the galaxy."