Chapter 3 Taking Charge

Hey lovely readers thank you for reading! Tell me what you think

VOTE!!

COMMENT!!

FAN!!

********************

Chapter 3

Taking Charge

Gracie's POV

Sighing I pulled out the diner keys to open it ready for another day. But to my surprise it was already open. The bell rang as I entered. No one was at the counter and the floor was filthy from yesterday.

I peeled off my coat as I headed to the back where I heard pots clattering rather loud. What if its a robber? Than why would he be in the kitchen, why not Jack's office or the register?

Making my way to the white spring door I peeked into the kitchen to see Leroy bending over the large sink. I let out a breath of relief before walking in.

"Good morning Leroy."

He jumped at my voice dropping a large pot into the sink filled with dishwashing soap. Soapy water sprayed all over me. I gasped causing some to go into my mouth.

"I'm so sorry Ms. Grace you startled me." he said as he handed me a towel

I dried my hands not touching my face in case I wiped the foundation off.

"What are you doing here shouldn't you be at home sleeping?" I asked

Leroy's brows knitted together as he nodded. He has been working here long before me. He is a fourty six year old man with wrinkles all over making him look older. He is my height, and has a little pot belly. He has dark olive skin, a small white patch of hair above his neck, small brown eyes, thin pink lips and the flattest nose you'd ever seen.

Leroy twisted a towel in his shaky hands looking tired.

"Annie got sick last night so I left to bring her to the hospital." he said

Annie is Leroy's fifteen year old daughter who has a heart problem. She gets sick often, I met her once when she was eight. She is the spitting image of her daddy. Poor man must have been worried sick and now he is here cleaning up when he needs rest.

I placed my pale hand on his shoulder causing him to look at me with glassy eyes. My mouth tipped up into a warm smile, Leroy is a kind tired man.

"You head on home I'll take care of your work."

"Oh but Ms. Grace I can't let you do that, its not fair to you." he shook his head

I tightened the white apron around my waist ignoring his protest and went over to the sink. Dipping my hands in the water I began to scrub the pot he dropped earlier.

"Bless you Ms. Grace." Leroy sighed

"Say hi to Annie for me." I said as he exited the diner

It took some elbow grease but I managed to make those pots sparkle like new. It put strain on my already aching shoulder though. When I finished the dishes I sweeped and mopped the floors. Than wiped the tables and chairs down. It didn't take long for me but a man with back problems like Leroy would have taken much longer.

After doing Leroy's work I made a few pots of coffee for the earlier customers which should be here soon. Speaking of which where are those no good cooks?

Leroy is getting older maybe I should help him more often, it beats waiting around for customers. While I was arranging the sugar and napkins the bell above the door dingled.